Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the water level is now 135% of normal at this time of year, it now has more water users storing water than ever before. that is good news, it should mean higher water levels for several years to come.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How's the bite down there the last couple of weeks? My last time there was the 4th and I caught about a dozen eyes, a wiper, and countless smallmouth. All the eyes were short, the wiper needs to grow another year or two and only 2 keepable smallmouths. I've personally never kept a smallmouth or largemouth, so they all still swim. The last 2 weekends I spent at 11 mile. Got some trout for the smoker on the 11th, but was totally humiliated the 18th. Not even a bite. Thinking about going back to Pueblo next weekend and see if the bigger eyes want to play yet. Maybe I need to quit being so hard headed and try something besides the fly rod for a change... probably not though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
the fish are still deep, water temp needs to cool some more, 2 weeks should see the fish moving from the deep
That ^^ maybe even three more weeks, need to get the main lake down to about 66 degrees. Surface was 69 early and 72.5 by the end of the day Sunday.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
The level may change drastically when they fill that new res in Fountain (I think it's in Fountain).

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason it is my understanding that they are not going to build a new shallow lake, but they built an underground tank that is full and in operation now. they found that it would be more efficient to do this so there would be no loss due to evaporation and the cost of pumping will be much less

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
How are we supposed to fish in an underground tank?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Jason it is my understanding that they are not going to build a new shallow lake, but they built an underground tank that is full and in operation now. they found that it would be more efficient to do this so there would be no loss due to evaporation and the cost of pumping will be much less
Wow... that's smart. Good news other than not getting another fishing hole.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The lake fishes better when its lower IMO. Believe we're in a wet cycle-to be followed by another drought (as it always is).

Maybe I'm just getting too old to figure out where the fish have moved when the water rises or drops 15 ft. :)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The lake fishes better when its lower IMO. Believe we're in a wet cycle-to be followed by another drought (as it always is).

Maybe I'm just getting too old to figure out where the fish have moved when the water rises or drops 15 ft. :)
all lakes are easier to fish when the water drops. I'm waiting for Boysen to drop again for easy icing massive jumbo perch. (among others).

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
We are still catching fish but the shad hatch is just amazing right now! I got a couple nice catfish, crappie and a bunch of short bass and walleye on Thursday. It was the roughest waves of the year for me on Thursday afternoon also, my customer looked like he was green in the gills on the ride back in, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts