Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past 4th of July my dad and I went fishing at lake granby for the first time in his boat. He had never fished this lake before but he knows how to fish for lake trout because he goes to Canada every summer and fishes for monster fish up ther. We trolled over to dike three and caught 2 - 15lbs and 1 - 17 lb fish all in 5 minutes. The picture is of my dad and the 17lbs. Not bad for the first time at Granby. We are hoping to go up to Granby on Saturday.

By the way, we were at Bass Pro Shop about a week or so ago listening to a guy talk about ice fishing at Granby. He was talking to us in front of the Aquarium when one of the Pike violently chomped down on a 3 to 5 lb trout. Now there is something you don't see every day. That trout was near as big as the pike. After the pike killed the trout, he let loose of it and started trying to swallow the thing by the head. I don't know if he ever got it all the way in but he was sure trying his hardest.

Any way, it sure was cool to actually see how fish eat other fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Glad you finally made it onto the forums, I was sitting next to your dad at the BPS seminar. I think we talked for a half hour after the seminar about lakers, and his fishing up in Canada. I had a good time talking to you and your dad.
That pike actually never got that trout down he ended up spitting it out, and it swam away. The pike on the other had sank to the bottom and laid there for a little while before also swimming away.
If you guys Ice fish the forum is having a get together at Granby on the 7th of January, I'm hoping to get into some lakers.
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey epic,

Thanks for the welcome. I am in the process of getting my dad to get on so he can talk to you. He may also want to go to Granby on the 7th with you since you both live in the springs. We are not going to go up tomorow because he is afraid of thin ice. He may be right, I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If your dad needs a ride let me know.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sounds like some pretty consistent big laker action. I've not been able to find that for myself. It would be nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts