Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I use that type of setup for a lot of my fishing,its a poor mans downrigger,really.Gives good feel,works great for draggin stuff along the bottom for wallys or catfish!If you use a lighter line between the swivel and sinker than the main line,if snagged you lose just the sinker!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slayerfish, once again, thanks for the excellent response!

I'm going to give this rig a try on Saturday at Green Mtn. Man, the weekend can't come quick enough!

·
Registered
103 Posts
do yourself a favor and use fireline or spiderwire for your main line, after a little while trolling around with mono you will get lift and your bottom rig will be who knows where, but try to stay in that same 6#-8# diameter, I use 8 ounces on a flippin stick with 60/6 spiderwire with 12# on the lure leader and feel it on the bottom at over 100' at up to 2 mph

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
be carefull using that 60# spiderwire that stuff is strong enough to do some damage to your rod and reel or even rodholders you could use like 20# and have more than enough strength and the thinner dia. will me less resistance and make it easyer to get to the depth you want and still give you unbelivable sensitivity i used to use 30# spider wire rockcoding in 600+ feet of water down in southern cal and it felt like you were draging the tip of the rod on the rocks

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
100 lb test! Jeez,I fish in the ocean alot and never use more than 30 lb! To each his own,I guess-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts