• 4 -STOCKER RAINBOW TROUT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we've been told over and over that colorado fisherman would rather catch kokonee and rainbows over trophy lake trout lets take a poll! ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are we catching the kokanee when they're silver?  And in the mouth?

Or are we ripping a big, weighted treble hook into the sides of the dying spawners with our 7' rods loaded with 20 lb. line, then dragging them in??

Just curious.

I guess I shouldn't have used the term "spawners", because kokanee don't actually spawn in Colorado. They mill around until they are snagged, milked for artificial propogation, or simply die. Because the kokanee fishery in Colorado is completely artifial from the beginning.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ken said to keep it civil so I guess we are angling for Kokes and not snagging, while I do enjoy snaggin myself at times, I don't think you could call it CIVILIZED! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I voted for big macks!!! Nothing against kokes or stockers as I believe they have their place but big game fish are what I want to catch more than anything else.

Selective harvest for President!!!  :D

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought a boat at the end of last summer I was planning on learning to fish for lake trout in hopes of catching a big one..... however, every fishing report I have read since the limit changes only talk about catching small lakers so I scratched that idea. The only kokes that are really fun to catch are the big 5 pounders at 11-mile.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11 mile puts out some big ones, I said 1-2 lbers hoping to represent an average size fish......

·
Registered
513 Posts
At least you guys have a sense of humor, and are not blind zombies of the mackinaw nation.

Care for me to dig up some facts again about catch preferences based on actual creel census data, instead of trying to make a point with a flawed poll aimed at a obviously biased audience?

BTW, kokanee do spawn successfully in Colorado, the DOW just takes the eggs and "fast swimmers" because they can fertilize the eggs even better than nature.

You didn't make the catagory I was looking for, can I vote for Macks about 18"?  They taste better than those oily, wet sock fighting 36 inchers.

Cheers.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ClackaRqam-

You should make a trip to the Gorge with me some day.  I think it would open your eyes, that is if your open to having your eyes opened!   ;)  Chasing big macks is about a lot more than finding fish and dropping down a jig with a hunk of sucker meat, that's for sure.   

And where do kokes spawn successfully in Colorado in numbers big enough to sustain their population?? 

·
Registered
174 Posts
You have to have a lot more than 10 of the 1-2lb kokes in the lake to grow one 20-30 lb laker anyway, so why choose? Catch all of them and have a big BBQ when you get home :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
You have to have a lot more than 10 of the 1-2lb kokes to grow a 30 lb laker --so why choose? Catch both and have a big BBQ when you get home  :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
clackaram, we just cannot make you happy now can we? You just cannot handle that your maybe wrong?, yeah DOW creel surveys, I don't see them doing them in april or on the ice at Blue Mesa so you want to talk about an invalid survey,,,their you go!!! peace out man !

·
Registered
765 Posts
clackaram,

If you went to the Fork or Granby between December and April I think you would find very few folks dangling swedish pimples compared to the ones bouncing large tube jigs or spawn sacks. I don't feel like we are a terribly biased audience. I do feel like this group, in general, knows more about fishing and has a greater concern for regulations and care for the environment and protection of fish populations then the average fisherman. To see an illustration of what I call an average fisherman take a trip to Sprat Platte for a day and just watch people. I think every fisherman dreams of that drag peeling whopper and that dream is what keeps a lot of people coming back. I've caught quite a few fish in my time. A lot of those fish I have forgotten about or were not worthy of a story. The big ones I don't forget. As a native Colorado fisherman, the big ones with teeth are the ones I want. Those are the fish that cause me to "set the hook" in the middle of the night throwing the covers off the bed. I spend a lot more money and effort on that one fish then all the rest of them combined. If all I wanted was a fish meal I would go to the store and buy it all cleaned and ready. It's a lot cheaper to get fish that way. I'm willing to work and pay for the experience of a lifetime though. I lived and fished in Alaska for a while. The number of fishing tourists that came was amazing. Ask them why they came all the way to Alaska and spent thousands of dollars to fish...because Alaska is where the big fish are. They may not catch one but their chances are pretty fair. Those people would come to Colorado and spend their dollars here if Colorado had the same reputation for having BIG fish. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would rather catch the four stocker trout!

Of course I would prefer they be inside the stomach of a 40" Laker :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yikes...this is a tough one. How about a 15lb laker while going for five 1lb salmon?

I went with the laker because of the size factor, but in reality all three are fine by me ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kajitan said:
Yikes...this is a tough one. How about a 15lb laker while going for five 1lb salmon?

I went with the laker because of the size factor, but in reality all three are fine by me ;D
now I like that , a balanced approach where everybody is happy, 5 nice kokes for the grill and 1 laker for memories!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
come on guys let your vote be heard!!! 23 voters out of 200 lookers?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i like ctaching lake trout alot but catching one over 10 pounds is rare and i like catching kokanne alot and there way more easier to catch i;ve caught way more bigger kokanne then i have lake trout and i know kokanne are way better to eat then lake trout but i like both fish just find it easier to catch bigger kokanne then big lake trout

1 - 20 of 59 Posts