Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing how the dow treats my favorite sport fish, I would much rather see the anglers, not the dow help to keep the balance if needed. Every lake is different and the problems at blue mesa coincide with the perch invasion, damn operation changes (allowing macs better spawning success) and limited pressure along with abnormal growth rates. At Grand lake the fish don't spawn successfully and after years of no stocking the fishing has tanked. At Granby the lakers have a much slower growth rate then blue mesa and take many many years to replace a large fish, the eater size fish (-20") are normally plentiful but we do see year round pressure and high ice fishing pressure which helps keep the population in check and continued high water years can result in a loss of plankton and poor kokanee years like what happened 10 years ago, it was the lake trout anglers who pushed and worked to get williams fork going as an alternative egg source as the dows solution was to only liberalize lake trout limits. So 10 years later the kokanee are rebounding. So go ahead and harvest your limit of under 20" lakers and let the big ones go to help preserve the future of lake trout fishing and help us get a regulation change for Granby similar to flaming gorge ( 4 fish with only one over 28") Yes we can.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The DOW seems either to lazy or stupid to make LMP's for these individual lakes and take into account limits and slots as viable tools.
I know there are some lakes that have slots and special limits but why not on some of these contentious areas that are the focus of much debate?
It seems that the lakes that have the highest potential for tropy predator fish are the ones they are trying to destroy the most, don't see much angler satisfaction there. ???

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There are way too many small macks at Blue Mesa, but to harvest or kill any fish over 28" there is a BIG mistake. What the CDOW is doing now, killing hundreds of trophy fish is unforgivable. Maybe if Tom Tancredo wins the gov. office he would stop it.
So yes, keep the small macks and let the bigger ones go is good policy and true selective harvest.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
good post steve. The solution is simple: do a better job and get more creative on how and where to harvest eggs. We just a had a trillion dollar stimulus. I think this would be a great application for that money and create a few jobs. Also, maybe a few more officers could be added to enforce the kokanne bag limits. Good for the ecomomy, and good for the fish.

·
Registered
139 Posts
just was reading the updated info on the fall netting that is taking place at blue mesa as we speck , they are now keep all fish 38'' and under , the size keeps going up..i'm here to tell you that nest year it will be 45'' and under..this sucks 38'' fish out of blue mesa is in the 40 lb range.
i really dont under stand the whole kill all the lake trout thing :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the story at blue Mesa plays out like a bad dream, the kokanee limit goes unchanged, the fly fishers and fly snaggers get to harrass them right up to the hatchery,last year they released all the over 30" lake trout and netkilled over 1000 under 30" fish and led us to believe this was to keep the trophy size fish available for anglers, this year they bs everyone at the meetings then have there commissioner \ workshop meeting in bumb [email protected]%k las animas, then decide before there's been time to evaluate last years killing spree to go ahead and take out the remaining over 30" fish which they put radio taggs on last year so they could easily find there spawning areas to make the destruction easier.ps: this is the same agency that is proposing a total removal of any pike limits or regulations.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
They only released the larger fish last year so they could radio tag them and find out where they spawn, so they could go on a trophy mack killing spree. So if you catch a tagged mack at Blue, take the tag out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We need a larger bag limit on Green Mountain, Ruedi, and Turquiose. I wish they would prohibit the harvest of larger fish though. Given that GM has so many kokes, the macks will have a better chance to reach trophy size. I plan to hit Williams Fork this year too for Macks and pike.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
what i don't understand with BM is why they also seem to be ignoring the yellow perch situation. What is the DOW's take on this? I think this should be a major concern when try to maintain balance in the BM eco system.
I'm afraid if they kill the Macs, the Perch will get out of hand and I wonder how this will effect the precious egg take at roaring judy. I'm not a biologist, but not afraid to say these folks in control at the dow are acting like they have the education of a Horses Arse.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IceInTheVeins. said:
We need a larger bag limit on Green Mountain, Ruedi, and Turquiose. I wish they would prohibit the harvest of larger fish though. Given that GM has so many kokes, the macks will have a better chance to reach trophy size. I plan to hit Williams Fork this year too for Macks and pike.
Places like green mtn and williams fork don't produce as many trophy size fish because without a food booster like mysis shrimp or now with blue mesa perch there are fewer fish that can get over the hump and grow large enough to be fish eaters.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
fordo said:
what i don't understand with BM is why they also seem to be ignoring the yellow perch situation. What is the DOW's take on this? I think this should be a major concern when try to maintain balance in the BM eco system.
I'm afraid if they kill the Macs, the Perch will get out of hand and I wonder how this will effect the precious egg take at roaring judy. I'm not a biologist, but not afraid to say these folks in control at the dow are acting like they have the education of a Horses Arse.
Oh the CDOW bios are smart, they just are dishonest and don't have any integrity. Yellow perch have been found a lot in the stomachs of macks of all sizes, and many browns and rainbows. One perch has only about 1/3 the caloric value of an equal sized koke, so they are just another predator to compete with kokes and also they will predate on young kokes up to about 4". So there was no need to introduce perch into blue mesa. The jury is still out on their impact, but they may be playing a role in reducing the survival of young kokes.

Fisheries science isn't rocket science, a reasonably intelligent person who spends lots of time on the water and does his own research can figure out if a biologist is truthful or not.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
fordo said:
Oh the CDOW bios are smart, they just are dishonest and don't have any integrity. Yellow perch have been found a lot in the stomachs of macks of all sizes, and many browns and rainbows. One perch has only about 1/3 the caloric value of an equal sized koke, so they are just another predator to compete with kokes and also they will predate on young kokes up to about 4". So there was no need to introduce perch into blue mesa. The jury is still out on their impact, but they may be playing a role in reducing the survival of young kokes.

Fisheries science isn't rocket science, a reasonably intelligent person who spends lots of time on the water and does his own research can figure out if a biologist is truthful or not.
last I checked, bucket biology was the reason why perch are in blue mesa.

where's good places to fish for perch through the ice at BM?
That is correct, the perch got into blue mesa in 1999/2000 from a couple of guys (avid mac fisherman) that called themselves the “bucket brigade”. The perch were caught ice fishing at Crawford reservoir and driven up to BM and dumped in. Since the introduction of these perch, the state record has increased by over 10 lbs.
From what federal park ranger told me. Last years gill net project revealed that those Macs were predominantly full of perch.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Those Blue Mesa fish are not getting to 50 pounds on a perch diet. Whoever those idiots were that dumped them in, they ought to be shot. :mad: That was just plain stupid. What arrogance! God I hate those kinds of nitwits.

I keep hearing these stories of Blue Mesa macks stuffed with perch, even "puking" them up, but I've been asking someone for a picture for at least 4 years now. You know, a simple picture of a 20# mack puking up perch. Seems pretty soimple if they're gorging on perch. But so far no one can come up with one. I wonder why? ::)

Beauty fades, dumb is forever. Those [email protected]#kers ought to be shot.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(quote by fordo) That is correct, the perch got into blue mesa in 1999/2000 from a couple of guys (avid mac fisherman) that called themselves the “bucket brigade”. The perch were caught ice fishing at Crawford reservoir and driven up to BM and dumped in. Since the introduction of these perch, the state record has increased by over 10 lbs.
From what federal park ranger told me. Last years gill net project revealed that those Macs were predominantly full of perch.

[/quote] I thought they also could of gotten in there by the sucker soakers, using live perch for bait then dumping there leftovers. It appears the abundant perch population has helped the smaller lake trout proliferate and since they can't do anything about the perch started the very unpopular netting program to help remove under 30" fish, the slap in the face to sportsman near and far was the change to removing the over 30" fish after we actually believed what they told us last year.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Those Blue Mesa fish are not getting to 50 pounds on a perch diet. Whoever those idiots were that dumped them in, they ought to be shot. :mad: That was just plain stupid. What arrogance! God I hate those kinds of nitwits.

I keep hearing these stories of Blue Mesa macks stuffed with perch, even "puking" them up, but I've been asking someone for a picture for at least 4 years now. You know, a simple picture of a 20# mack puking up perch. Seems pretty soimple if they're gorging on perch. But so far no one can come up with one. I wonder why? ::)

Beauty fades, dumb is forever. Those [email protected]#kers ought to be shot.
I don't know Don, if theres enough of them to fill there stomachs every day, the lake trout record stayed under 40lbs until the early 2000s and I also have a report of a laker 42lbs killed last year due to being hooked badly and its stomach and throat had 23- 2-5 inch perch and the dow guys have mentioned that the net killed fish from last year were mainly full of perch. I guess you better go down there and kill one to see for yourself.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like they also changed there blue mesa netting times from 2 hour soaks to 24 hour soaks, so anyone familiar with netting knows that means the majority of all fish netted will be dead, no matter what species or sizes.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
redleader said:
sounds like they also changed there blue mesa netting times from 2 hour soaks to 24 hour soaks, so anyone familiar with netting knows that means the majority of all fish netted will be dead, no matter what species or sizes.
Yep. They're all gonna be dead. I hate 'em.

As for perch filling up the big fish, all these guys who say they've seen it, you would think someone would take a picture.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
A perch has 1/3 the caloric value of a koke of similar size. Recruitment and reproduction of small lake trout has increased quite a lot since perch came into the system. Given that perch compete with kokes, this introducing was bad idea, probably the only truly harmful introduction on the west slope, given that pike have improved fishing for just about all species in the lakes they have been introduced in on the west slope.
This was a bad idea. Perch into Ruedi was not because 99.9% of the lake trout in there cannot grow large enough to eat rainbows and there are basically no kokes in Ruedi.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
yup going to do overnite soaks on the spawning grounds, all fish dead not matter what size!! kiss your 30 year old fish good by, what a bunch of a$$holes posing as biologist IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. a stocked fish that lives 4 years vs a natural reproducing fish that lives up 60 years , makes no sense until you look at the MONEY!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts