Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Which would you rather fish?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im a newbie fly fisherman and was wondering what the differences between river fishing and lake fishing were?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It depends what want to fish for. Trout I would rather fish in a stream or river. Pan fish and bass are goin have to come from the lake. Hitting Smallmouths on a river on a fly is great as well.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
There are so many differences it would be hard to list. 

fish hold in different areas and have different feeding patterns in lakes than in rivers...tactics, gear, and techniques are also going to vary quite a bit.

flyfishing in lakes takes a different approach than in rivers...i personally enjoy flyfishing in lakes for both trout and warmwater species.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The only reason I like rivers and lakes better is with the current the fight is usually better, makes the fish seem bigger. :p

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Rivers are definitely more predictable as far as where the fish are located and the fish are easier to get to. Reservoirs or lakes all look the same from the surface, but can be difficult to locate fish, structure, etc. Then getting to them with the proper presentation is a whole nother game. I can go to basically any river and catch fish on any given day, but could not say the same for reservoirs. I do know that there are much bigger fish in Lakes and Reservoirs than you will ever catch in a river (maybe aside from the tail waters). As you probably know a great time to fly fish any lake or reservoir is right at ice off and usually is your best chance at a trophy with a fly rod.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ben said:
What are the differences?
If big trout are your goal, fishing a highly productive (lots of trout food) lake in spring or fall can be great. Lake fishing takes a whole different set of of skills and, in some cases, flies to be really successful. My biggest fish this year, a 23" brown and 24" rainbow have both come from lakes.

As already mentioned, the biggest challenge in lake fishing is locating fish. If there is a good hatch going, they'll often show themselves. Otherwise, fish structure like weed beds, dropoffs, points, etc. Most trout food is in shallow water and the big boys like low light periods. Get yourself an intermediate sink line and work the shoals with buggers and nymph patterns that have lots of movement early and late in the day. I fish larger nymphs in lakes than I use in rivers because big trout are looking for a mouthful of vulnerable prey.

Once water temps hit the mid-upper 60's I leave lakes alone and fish streams the rest of the summer. In the fall, there is another window of opportunity to go after jumbo trout in lakes and I'll fish right up until water freezes.

Good luck,

·
Registered
45 Posts
I now fish Stillwater only. I just don?t like the Colorado Bobber Fishing that is required in rivers here. Starring at indicators dragging tiny pupae patterns in front of over-fished trout that have been caught many times before is just not my thing.

With Stillwater, you have to cast and retrieve well and it?s just more interesting. Of course, the fish are bigger as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts