Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the problems with Hatcheries and Gill lice it sure seems like now would be a great time to invest in self-sustaining species.
Granby would be a great candidate as they can feed on the abundant Mysis shrimp, give us a new sports fish while being a great food source for Large Lake Trout.
The Hatcheries can't keep up with the demand for Rainbows as it is.
If they can come up with a 73 page Lake management plans for a little 360 acre lake like Rifle Gap why can't they figure out how to do an enhancement project at a 7,200 acre lake that would actually make a big difference in the overall health of the lake while reducing the dependency of hatcheries.
I've mentioned this at DPW meetings, talked to Brett Johnson at CSU and Jon Ewert and Sherman Hebein with the DPW about it without any results.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I don't know anything about whitefish other than the few things I've read. But your last sentence says it all.

Spitt'in into the wind.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
seems like allot of time availible for lake killing, not much time for enhancment work..would really suck to have that job, I watch those kill boat in Blue Mesa in the Fall , 6-9 guys out in boats all day netting and killing, thats allot of time and labor that could be used for making things better.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
been saying this for years, but nobody wants to listen to the words from a fat boy.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've heard you, I was told that introducing a new species in this day and age would be impossible but I'm not buying it, Whitefish are native to Co. rivers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Anyone have an idea on cost to stock whitefish versus rainbows? I know this topic has come up before at meetings, what was the reason it has been shot down by cpw?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Anyone have an idea on cost to stock whitefish versus rainbows? I know this topic has come up before at meetings, what was the reason it has been shot down by cpw?
Cuz then lakers would grow bigger and stronger and make more laker babies and be much more difficult for the cpw to eradicate from a body of water...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
been saying this for years, but nobody wants to listen to the words from a a member who had been a dooshbag for 80% of his early existence here
there I fixed it for you...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We still need all the Rainbows we can get in Granby, thats what keeps the shore fishery going.
Lake Whitefish would live in deep water feeding on Mysis Shrimp and spawn in the fall, hopefully some would spawn deep enough for eggs to survive the fluctuating water elevations. BTW they started pumping Willow cr. spillway today.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think I've got it figured out. Zman takes over cpw and names Dave head bucket bio...

·
Registered
427 Posts
We still need all the Rainbows we can get in Granby, thats what keeps the shore fishery going.
Lake Whitefish would live in deep water feeding on Mysis Shrimp and spawn in the fall, hopefully some would spawn deep enough for eggs to survive the fluctuating water elevations. BTW they started pumping Willow cr. spillway today.
Speaking of rainbows in Granby, how do we get what was supposed to go into GM put in Granby?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Won't be long...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speaking of rainbows in Granby, how do we get what was supposed to go into GM put in Granby?
According to Ewert's blog, the Glenwood Hatchery went out of commission due to a disease so fewer are available this year. Not stocking GM they will still be able to maintain normal allotments at the other lakes.
Hopefully it will free up more to stock at Granby in the future though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A serious question. What about grayling?

I would not mind having a few more options for grayling! I often stop at chambers on my way over to NP to take a look at a couple.

Another thought. Brown trout do not get gill lice. Why don't we turn some of our gill lice infested fisheries over to species that don't get gill lice.... Like Brown Trout.

Redfeather lakes are a prime example. Dowdy is all slimers and they are sickly and infested. Parvin has a mix of species and I have not seen gill lice on any fish I have caught there. Rainbow or otherwise. Parvin has a good brown trout population and some tiger muskie. I am guessing that the infected bows are more susceptible to predation from browns and Tigers keeping the lice population in check. That is what predators due, consume the sick so they do not spread the disease...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If they can come up with a 73 page Lake management plans for a little 360 acre lake like Rifle Gap why can't they figure out how to do an enhancement project at a 7,200 acre lake that would actually make a big difference in the overall health of the lake while reducing the dependency of hatcheries.
In natural resources writing a management plan is relatively cheap. The fisheries biologists will work for peanuts just to have the opportunity to scrap by and spend some of their days collecting fisheries data.... While enhancement work requires labor, materials and contractors. In the real world people expect a living wage to provide those services...

When I was working for CSFS i was paid $9/hr to do the field work and write management plans in 2006. That is college graduate professional work for McDonalds wages. The contractors implementing the plans figured a minimum of $16/hr for unskilled labor. Then you have equipment and operators etc....... Projects are way more expensive than plans.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yes I'm aware of the differences, we have many varieties of Rainbows why not look into it a new variety of Whitefish that could be self sustaining. Lake Whitefish are a tasty,hard fighting fish.
They commonly grow to 4 pounds and 20"s, are an important commercial fish in the great lakes and Flathead Lake has had great success with them.
They would be a perfect fit for Granby they would feed on the abundant Mysis shrimp while also being a cheap forage for Large lake trout once established.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In natural resources writing a management plan is relatively cheap. The fisheries biologists will work for peanuts just to have the opportunity to scrap by and spend some of their days collecting fisheries data.... While enhancement work requires labor, materials and contractors. In the real world people expect a living wage to provide those services...

When I was working for CSFS i was paid $9/hr to do the field work and write management plans in 2006. That is college graduate professional work for McDonalds wages. The contractors implementing the plans figured a minimum of $16/hr for unskilled labor. Then you have equipment and operators etc....... Projects are way more expensive than plans.
They could could get a fisheries student at CSU to work on it for his masters.
Once approved find a source and start stocking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts