Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished lake X dec 24th. ice a nice, solid 8-12". Edges a bit slushy but could run out before you broke through onto solid ice. Was about to mention to my bro how bad it was so far (in 15 min had seen no perch, crappie, or gills on my sonar) when we had a tipup. The tipup was set 11 fow on an inside turn in a bay, with a 6" dead anchovie on a quick strike rig 1 foot off of the bottom. Fought the beast for 15 min or so and got him up to the hole. He was a northern in the mid 40" range and I'm guessing mid 20 pound range. Very fat. Got his head up in the hole, he was tough to get through due to extreme girth and fiestyness. After like a minute of trying and we still were having problems, we cut the line and let it live another day. This lake's pike population is nowhere what it used to be so we knew this fish's survival was important. That is the biggest pike, heck biggest fish, I've ever caught in my life. We also caught a 7 pound pike on the same tipup a couple hours later and then a couple hours after that caught a 4 pound pike on a perch jig. It was suspended at 25 fow over 35 fow flat. It got the perch jig deep, and w/ 2 lb test we thought we were done but iceintheveins somehow caught it. amazing. We prob caught 200 or so small 6-9" yellow perch and intv caught 8 crappie around 8" and I caught one crappie at 15". Also caught a few lunker 7-9" gills and also a few small stocker trout. If someone is willing to drive a long way from denver, and will release EVERY pike they catch, I will tell you what lake (maybe) if I so choose.
slayer, I'm fishing here tomorrow if you want to fish with me I'll tell you what lake it is. I know we planned on hitting crawford together but it stinks right now.
Later all.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: Lake X Dec 24th

sounds like a fun trip .... I could just imagine tryin to pull the fish out of the hole and it bein to fat!! oh that would be great I wish I wouldve caught the biggest fish of my life today I ended up driving all over the place tryin to find open water because I have no auger....guess Ill be buying a auger this week.

·
0 Posts

pitbull said:
sounds like a fun trip .... I could just imagine tryin to pull the fish out of the hole and it bein to fat!! oh that would be great  I wish I wouldve caught the biggest fish of my life today I ended up driving all over the place tryin to find open water because I have no auger....guess Ill be buying a auger this week.]

He pitbull if you looking for an auger,my wife got me an "ESKIMO BARRACUDA,8''from Sportsman Warehouse,for$ 49.95.I took it out for the first time ever and it cut through 12-15" of ice in tree minutes,like a knife through butter. It is a hand auger.very cool!!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

TFB I think you need a bigger auger! One would think you use a 8" hole for lakers and pike - sounds like your using a 6" hole - I've never seen a pike that won't come through an 8 inch hole, some lakers though.

It sounds like a fun lake, perch, gills, and such, and big pike.

Ah, Now I see on another post that it was a 10" hole... Nice, sounds like you had your hands on a world record to me!

·
Registered
935 Posts

Earlier, the real name of lake X was revealed, but TFB likes to protect his pike.  See the link below regarding a 46", 30 lb. pike caught and released at Stagecoach.  I'm not judging the accuracy of TFB's story here, but the story states that the anglers were able to get their fish though an 8" hole.  That being the case, I'm always open to the possibility of a really fat pike (perhaps one that has just eaten a pretty large rainbow trout or something like that. It would sure be fun to catch a big fish like that.  Scroll down to the kid holding the big pike and read on. 

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f_fea_state_record_roundup_030506.html

·
Registered
935 Posts

Perhaps what TFB meant to say is that they were unable to get the fish iced. A heavy fish like that can be difficult to lift up through the hole, and they may have felt like the necessary force to lift it would have injured the fish. It's not uncommon for anglers to overestimate/exagerate the size of fish that get away (or that they are unable to land).

·
Registered
935 Posts

true, but I was just trying to cut him a bit of a break, in this case.

·
Registered
879 Posts

From reading most of TFB previous posts I do believe that he knows what he is talking about when it comes to pike and ice fishing. I don't think he needs to tell stories. So I believe him. One thing for sure, he is better at fishing than I am and has the pics to prove it.

·
Registered
935 Posts

The record Northern PIke in New Mexica was a 53" long, 29" girth fish weighing 36 lbs!  Another fish of unknown length is a New York State Record at 46 lbs.  If 50" long, this heavy fish could well have had around a 30" + girth.

It's not impossible that a freshly fed huge pike like this wouldn't easily come up a 10" hole that had potentially shrunk some in circumference due to icing.  It's improbably, but not impossible.

Largest pike recognized by the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, on the other hand, was a fish estimated to be 49" long, measured at 24" girth, and weighing about 36.5 lbs.

World Record Northern Pike was 55 lbs.

·
Registered
280 Posts

So that was you guys out there on Christmas Eve I must have talked to your dad. I can persoanlly attest that fish in Lake X do get girths that will push a 10" hole to the max. Stupid Chirstmas Eve of 2000 runied my chance of state record because everyone has to close early grrrr.
As a side not I fished the same spots you guys were at on Monday and only had 1 pike bite all day and the perch had slowed way down though I did catch a few and on a more positive note out of 4 rainbows 2 had obvious close encounters with pike gooooooooooo pike.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

i just reread TFB's report and i dont see where you guys are omming up with a "10 inch hole" and the post doesnt say it was ever edited

so maybe some one an post a quote showing were TFB said his pike wouldnt fit thru a 10 inch hole or maybe just post an apology for harssing him over nothing

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

I think most people that read his post have to take it with a grain of salt. Maybe its me but whenever anyone catchs something big so did he or his bro ( ice or mack) or they have caught something even bigger.The only pics you see are 15 trout from some river. I say put some pics up to shut the sceptics like me up. I want to see the 18lbs brown or any of those 10 to 20 lbs rainbows from the colorado. I hope you do catch what you say and give me some hope of landing a big one. As far as what will fit through a 10" hole could be covered by the lakers guys out there. I know at granbythey have landed some mid 30lbs through the ice and you would think a laker would have more girth then a pike.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

I agree he puts pics up of alot of nice fish. The smallie was great and the big pike from stagcoach was a good one. I just feel there are to many double digit trout from the white, colorado and gunnison where its time to show a pic. I know he can say what ever and all that stuff and its up to us to take it for what its worth. Maybe he is accurate and some pics would make me look like the jack ass. I hope he is, I would love to see huge fish pics. It would give me a reason to go buy more stuff and a subscription to the mag.

·
Registered
935 Posts

I'm a skeptic on the details of the story, too, but he's not claiming to have actually landed/iced the fish, so I'm willing to cut an excited youngster some slack for overestimating the size.  Size estimates of fish you don't actually land are nearly always wrong.  Anyone who has sightfished through the ice know fish seem strangely smaller than anticipated once you get them on the ice.

·
Registered
691 Posts

The way I look at it, whether or not the story is entirely accurate that fish was damn big! I talked to a guy once that said he caught some big browns up in the Rawahs after a 4 hr hike. I asked how big. He said about 20. I said that 20" is a great size for the Rawahs. He said no, that some were 20lbs. This was a conservative guy in a professional position. He stated that he was from the Chicago area and used to catch salmon that size in the Great Lakes. But still, I was incredulous. And I was DESPARATE to find out where that lake was. He was unfamiliar with the mountains here but a friend took him to the lake and this guy was disoriented most of the time. Anyway, my point to the story is that even if the trout were but 25% of the size these are, like I said, damn big fish. Am I too verbose?? John

·
Registered
176 Posts

I think its great that an "excited youngster" was willing to share his story with us. TFB has always had great posts, and I am happy for him on this particular fish- I praise him for not ripping the pike out of the hole- I dont know if I could have restrained my self. And as far as pictures go- I dont need to see pics of other peoples fish to promote my gear spending- or to buy kens mag. TFB- thanks for the post, in enjoyed it immensly- keep em coming!!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

Ken Broeren said:
Let's see if I remember my geometry lessons...

To calculate circumference, I believe the equation is pi*r², or pi*diameter.

So, in that case, 3.14 * 10" is 31.4" circumference.
Ken, sorry I just have to correct the typo above:

p*radius2 is not the same as pi*diameter!

pi*radius2 is the area of a circle and pi*diameter (or pi*2*radius) is the circumference...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

Ken Broeren said:
Excellent catch Mike - that's funny, I had to use the Character Map on my computer to figure out how to do a superscript 2. You're right, I didn't even need it! At least I got the right answer... :p
Heck, I couldn't even remember what the calculation for the circumference of a circle was -- I just knew that pi*r2 != pi*d :D

It sucks getting old. On the good side, I think I've finally mastered the use of the "superscript" in bulletin board code...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Trout,
We lost that 10+lb trout on the white you are referring to. I caught a 17# on the gunny gorge in 2003. without a camera so thus no pic. Haven't gotten any trout nearly that large since. I did catch an 8 pound brown this fall though on the colorado. Most people were like you when I said I caught 2-3 lb bluegill and said I was a liar. Then I posted a BUNCH of pics to prove it wrong.
Now, guys, trout especially, we did it again yesterday. Except we got this one on the ice. 38" 20.8 pounds. Iceintheveins' fish. We got a pic of this one too. Can't wait until its developed.
Yes, the fish could not fit through the 10" hole. I believe that not to be necessarily cuz his girth was bigger than 31.4" circumference, but because he wouldn't stay still. Had my hands under his gill plate several times and yanked on the line but he just wouldn't budge.
Scchase, was that you we talked to on christmas eve there? Said you caught 20 over 20 pounds there? If so, this guy (if it is you) saw and heard us fighting the fish, then we talked afterwards.

ICE GOT A PIC OF HIS LUNKER, I'M VERY excited to see it. It was, however, much smaller than my fish. It was more pretty too; mine was mostly the greenish/silvery color w/ yellow spots, and his had orange fins and orangish hue.
BTW, I got a "lunker" 23" northern yesterday too. Lol.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts