Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to float for lakers yesterday. It's been a while since I've taken the toon out. I basically fished from sunup to like 2pm or so. I tried a bunch of different methods-throwing sbs, casting jerks, jigging...etc. I landed one fish and had a handful of hits on the jig. The hits were really light. I wasn't really fishing for numbers, though. Everything I threw besides the jig was pretty big. I was hoping for constant clouds and rain/snow but the cloud cover was really inconsistent. It would come and go. These guys were it in a canoe and it looked like they were trying to undo a snag. It turned out they were getting towed by a pig laker on four pound test. They fought it for like half an hour and finally landed it. Not sure why they felt the need to put it on a stringer for the pics but it was released. Kinda doubt if it made it but I didn't say anything to the guys except that 4lb test is a bad idea. They were nice enough and didn't really seem to have much experience. They only got one laker as well. I might head back to do some afternoon fishing today. We'll see...I have another pic of the fish I caught but photobucket is being a PITA as usual.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Whomp, You really need to get something like this for your toon. For example fishing for walleye or jigging for lakers, I won't even drop if I don't see fish. No sense fishing where fish aren't. It's the best investment you'll ever make if you're going to get out on the water. And you'll learn much more about the lake if you aren't just sitting on top fishing blind.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-12635-001-Hook-3X-Sonar-XDCR/dp/B016QVXTNQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495479893&sr=1-2&keywords=lowrance+fish+finder

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01550-00-Striker-Bbuilt-Finder/dp/B017NI17HQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1495479556&sr=1-4&keywords=fish+finder

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whomp, You really need to get something like this for your toon. For example fishing for walleye or jigging for lakers, I won't even drop if I don't see fish. No sense fishing where fish aren't. It's the best investment you'll ever make if you're going to get out on the water. And you'll learn much more about the lake if you aren't just sitting on top fishing blind.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01550-00-Striker-Bbuilt-Finder/dp/B017NI17HQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1495479556&sr=1-4&keywords=fish+finder
Definitely. I've been thinking about getting a fish finder for a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did the same thing at Blue Mesa a few weeks ago. I just bungee my vexilar to the frame and it works okay. Didn't crush the Lakers but got one 20" and a bunch of nice browns that I'm sure I wouldn't have without sonar.

Find me on Instagram @jaramillo970

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good stuff, def need a fish finder. Those guys with their laker... fish gods work in mysterious ways.
Definitely need a lesson in handling fish that size. :nod:

Strangely enough, it kinda looks like the fish from DiD's avatar...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use an eagle fish finder. Nice and portable, mount the transducer to the back of my seat and pouches on the tube for the unit.!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts