Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise here. I was at Green Mountain yesterday and the lakers were biting real well up until at 10:00 am, which seems pretty normal but usually about that time they move on. Yesterday they just stopped biting but they were still in there thick. I had my vexilar and I could see that the fish were interested in what ever I threw down there by the way they would follow it but I couldn't get anything to bite. I was using tube jigs and I tried various colors and sizes. Then I put a Kastmaster on and they went nuts following it but just would not hit. I fished it aggressive and passive and nothing. Any tips on what to try in a situation like that?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Start drinking beer?

Just kidding. I have electronics so I don't know what happens below the ice. But when the bite slows down an aggressive jigging retrive wile get them alot of the time. I would think if they were following the kasty like crazy you should get them half way up and drop it all the way down and let it sit. If all that fails START DRINKING BEER! ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That same thing has happened to me out there at GM.  What seemed to work best was to bounce the jig off the bottom in the mud then a slow retrive up.  I would bring it up a little then jig it and repeat unitl about half way up then drop it to the bottom.  If they moved on it while I was bringing it up I would let it still and they would usually hit.  If nothing I would then move to deeper water.

Hope this helps      :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
While Bernie's answer is good and true I think I would have to side with hatchmasters. Green Mt gets a good amount of pressure, depending upon where you were fishing. I have noticed that the morning bite is good and then it slows down until just before dark, then it gets really good.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
sometimes lakers just shut down lake wide after 10 am or so. This is very common at taylor and blue mesa. Sometimes you can get an afternoon bite though, but that is once in every 3 trips or so. However, you still should go around, trying to catch fish that are feeding. Sometimes, the fish you are over have just wisened up to the presentation and a group of unpressured fish (IE somewhere on a lake very few people fish) can still bite very well. I have such a spot on ruedi where I can catch them great during midday for the most part as well (not as good as the morning, but not much worse).

·
Registered
230 Posts
monday i ran into the same scenario at GM. i switched to perch jigs, like a rat fink, with a 1/4 by 1 inch piece of sucker meat and they were hitting that. they got smaller though. probably due to the jig size.

·
Registered
769 Posts
CaptHook said:
That same thing has happened to me out there at GM.  What seemed to work best was to bounce the jig off the bottom in the mud then a slow retrive up.  I would bring it up a little then jig it and repeat unitl about half way up then drop it to the bottom.  If they moved on it while I was bringing it up I would let it still and they would usually hit.  If nothing I would then move to deeper water.

Hope this helps      :)
I agree with CaptHook on this technique.  Was doing the exact same thing up there a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the number of hits I got when I would let the jig hit bottom and then start reeling it up.
Did not seem to work for me yesterday, but there are times when it is a trigger for strikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts