Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Bernie ice rods are no longer available, what would be a good alternative? I have one baitcaster, but would like to get a spinning one as well.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I have the 36" Jason Mitchell baitcast laker rod and really like it. It is slightly stiffer in the tip than the Bernie rod, and is a very good choice for big fish. I would expect the spinning rod to have a similar action.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have two thorne. bros. proffesional graphite series that are 42" long. They are medium heavy action with a good stiff tip. Awesome laker rods, sensitive enough to detect light hits and strong enough keep the pressure on a bigger fish. They also make a 45" rod and also a casting model. I landed my biggest fish last year on a casting reel but the line pickup kept freezing, so I prefer spinning gear.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/professional.html

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Jeff Looney (spell check) can make you a nice custom rod, from what I saw his price is good and you can get what you want. Is he around this site anymore??

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
bobco said:
Jeff Looney (spell check) can make you a nice custom rod, from what I saw his price is good and you can get what you want. Is he around this site anymore??
Oh yeah! Why didn't I think of that!? He makes great ice rods!

PM me if you need his number.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies.....will definitely give me some options to think about. Those proffesional graphites look awesome, but a little more than I am looking to spend right now.

gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I have the 36" Jason Mitchell baitcast laker rod and really like it. It is slightly stiffer in the tip than the Bernie rod, and is a very good choice for big fish. I would expect the spinning rod to have a similar action.
I really appreciate the input on the the Jason Mitchell, as I was looking at them on Gander's site earlier, but the 38" spinning is back ordered right now. I will have to look into the custom as well. I never even gave that a thought.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Jeff Looney rod from what I've heard. Sourcing blanks for a laker ice rod is not easy unless you want to spend the money on the thorne bros blanks. I've got four "Med, Fast Action, Deep Water Jigging, 6-12# test, 1/4 - 1 oz Lure 48" BL-SALICE-M $ 6.99 blanks on the way to me, 3 of them are for a customer but I'll let you know how they feel.

http://schneidersrods.com/ice_fishing_items.htm

You need to highlight the boxes to view some of the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts