Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Do you think lakers hit very softly or extremely hard in colorado?

• Almost always softly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most of the time softly

• occaisionally softly

• rarely softly

• Always extremely hard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard do you think lakers strike? There seems to be two schools of thought; the ones that think they don't strike hard and the ones that think they always strike so hard that your wrist is sore. Of course, it varies lake to lake I've heard also, based on forage.

I voted almost always softly because I've never had a laker hit hard. Usually just taps or added weight.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note: Please don't vote in this poll unless you have fished for macks in colorado and in at least a couple of lakes. Don't want anyone from back east changing the results.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
TFB,

I don't know if I should vote or not, I like to fish all over back east as well as here, does 25 years fishing for lakers here in Colorado qualify or since I was born in Minnesota and fish in Michigan mean I shouldn't vote...

I have to say, a lot of the time - jigging for lakers the bite is soft. But some times in my experience they do hit hard, what ever hitting hard means. Some of the fish I catch follow the bait up off the bottom, hit it sharply well above the bottom, sometimes right under the ice, and then try to go back to the bottom. If you happen to find suspended fish (holding under bait/kokanee etc) they can be quite aggressive then sound right after they get hooked. I often pull my bait away from fish I see on the fish finder, thinking they will instinctively chase and strike rather than giving them an opportunity to look at, smell, and taste my bait. I think it works, maybe resulting in a higher percentage of "harder" hits.

T

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree Talo, when I'm jigging they will tend to hit soft, but if I'm watching them on the fishfinder and trying to coax them into a bite, they do seem to hit pretty hard when they think the bait is leaving the area, I've had them just slam it 2 or 3 feet under the ice after chasing it up from the bottom. I think it just depends on the fish, conditions and the lake, too many variables, jmo.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, vote from the experience you get in colorado. We all know back east lakers always hammer it supposedly. In fact, if you say they bite softly people will scream at you that your an idiot. lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol.....been there done that.
I'm too excited about catching lakers this year! It's driving me nuts! :p ;D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken, it's a long story but it really has no point or place to be here now after what happened a few hours ago. I'm done with that other site now.
I know, I know, I need to take some riddalin (sp). I am so excited!!!! I just have a funny feeling I will finally get a big mac this year after my 6 years of hard work for one.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
TFB,

I don't know what went on else where, and like Ken said, I wondered what your purpose for the post was. Anyhow, everywhere I fish for lakers they seem pretty similar in behavior.

Not having any hard hits,,, it doesn't match my experience in Colorado. Are you actively jigging, as Pete said in another tread, like teasing a cat or are you using a slow or dead stick rainbow trout type jigging presentation?

Think about this too, a common method for lake trout (and Salmon, Stripers, and Wipers) to feed is to slash through schools of bait fish injuring and stunning with their body, or catching the bait fish. They then go back and eat the injured, sinking and stunned bait fish.

I still think there are big lakers in Granby, Grand Lake, Green Mtn, Williams Fork, Twin Lakes, Jefferson, as well as the lakes you named, Blue Mesa, Taylor, and Ruedi.

Ter

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I jig like teasing a cat. However, usually they just leave or won't chase at all and just go back to the bottom after a few feet. lakers just are not aggressive where I fish it seems. maybe not having pelagic baitfish makes that difference. In taylor and ruedi, the two places I have the most experience, there are no baitfish. Not really even any kokanee (taylor has a few and ruedi the rare one). mostly I've noticed the ones I've cleaned have just eaten the evil mysis shrimp. I think all they do to feed is just open their mouths, fill it with shrimp, and be done feeding for a while. It's wierd too because it just isn't my experience to have a laker hit hard. I've also never actually talked to someone on the ice that had lakers hit hard either. The lack of pelagic forage and the presence of mysis shrimp must be the reason. I'd sure like to experience the aggressive, slashing laker though. Sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
They do that to me too, when they are really inactive, just resting on the bottom.

Quite often I find rainbow and kokanee, and crawfish in the lakers from the lakes closer to Denver. I think things are improving after the drought, the fish seem healthier.

·
Registered
377 Posts
TFB,

Good question, I've been fishing for Mac's in Colorado for 15 years both through the ice and in open water. The largest Mac's I"ve caught (42" and 40") have hit like a truck. For the most part especially through the ice at Granby the strike is very light. I can watch fish chase my lure up and down on the Vex a then the line stops dropping or there is just a little more weight on the line and the fight is on.

Blue Mesa seems to be different, with much harder hits. Seems wierd, you would think with the difference in food supply for Mac's between Blue Mesa and Granby that it would be the oppisite. Anyway a good sonar (Vex) and close attention to your line should allow you to land the soft biters.

FC

·
Registered
935 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the poll is it doesn't have an option for moderate hits... I get really soft hits from panfish. Laker hits I get are usually moderate hits, somewhere between soft and hammer. They give a couple light initial jiggles, then pull the rod tip down hard toward the hole. Seems harder during early ice.

·
Registered
863 Posts
last yr i went up to granby with a good ol aqua vu and sat there all day watching macs pick my bait up sometimes swallow it and sit there for a while other times spit it back out as quick as they took it in and i would say 75% of the time never felt a thing on my pole....I couldnt believe how many fished i wouldve never known about or even caught that day if I wouldnt have had that aqua vu.....so softly gets my vote 9 times outta 10 anyway....IMO

·
Registered
297 Posts
pitbull said:
last yr i went up to granby with a good ol aqua vu and sat there all day watching macs pick my bait up sometimes swallow it and sit there for a while other times spit it back out as quick as they took it in and i would say 75% of the time never felt a thing on my pole....I couldnt believe how many fished i wouldve never known about or even caught that day if I wouldnt have had that aqua vu.....so softly gets my vote 9 times outta 10 anyway....IMO
I've never used one before but I would think that those cameras could send you home feeling kind of bad about yourself. I would like to try one sometime though, I'm a glutton for punnishment.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea some ppl would call it cheating I call it taking advantage of modern day technology I dont have one myself the one I used was my buddy's brothers but I would buy one if i had the money I think they are pretty cool little things those and vexilar's both are pretty awesome....I learned how the vex's worked on sat...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've decided that I want to fish whoever said, always extremely hard! They obviosuly fish where the Lakers are agressive! :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
pitbull said:
I've heard people say they are able to set the hook on fish they didn't feel biting because of underwater cameras.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea cutthroat that was the story of the day when I used the aqua vu....It also makes you wander how many fish you miss every single time you go fishin when you see that.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts