Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
His vision, from the constantly passing bars,
has grown so weary that it cannot hold
anything else. It seems to him there are
a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world.

As he paces in cramped circles, over and over,
the movement of his powerful soft strides
is like a ritual dance around a center
in which a mighty will stands paralyzed.

Only at times, the curtain of the pupils
lifts, quietly--. An image enters in,
rushes down through the tensed, arrested muscles,
plunges into the heart and is gone.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Lets lay this to rest. There was a big mack hooked on a dynamic swimbait. It was lost due to a trout net?

Regardless the strike is what were looking for, not the stability of the bait?

All of the Dynamic guys: You need to beef up the connecting joints in your swimbaits. Seriously they look like paper clips connecting the joints!

Not bashing your bait, they just need to get beefed up in that region.

I know you boys have landed some really big pike on them. But you really should re-analyze your connections on the swimbait.

I know you can land big fish on it. But for how long can you do it, before you get your heart broken

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm not bashing the bait co. i think it's awesome we have a CO based company. I'm just throwing out the defects that I see! And hoping for improvments in the future.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Chadfish said:
I bought a swimbait and an HD Trout and they look great! Cant wait to use them, was bummed to see they were made in China tho :(
Not all of the line up is made in China, we have some stuff being made in Cali and some in Maine, one product is made in the deep south.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
human cannonball said:

Good stuff, HC!

www.thebeckoning.com/poetry/rilke/rilke3.html

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
albow said:
human cannonball said:

Good stuff, HC!

www.thebeckoning.com/poetry/rilke/rilke3.html
I like R.M.R. a lot! ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Biggie Smalls said:
All of the Dynamic guys: You need to beef up the connecting joints in your swimbaits. Seriously they look like paper clips connecting the joints!

Not bashing your bait, they just need to get beefed up in that region.

I know you boys have landed some really big pike on them. But you really should re-analyze your connections on the swimbait.

I know you can land big fish on it. But for how long can you do it, before you get your heart broken
Okay, this really piqued my curiosity. 99.9% of all big fish lost I believe are due to angler error in some form or the other. I have personally caught in excess of 100 different species of fish including some ocean specimens that pound-for-pound will out-pull anything that swims in Colorado. The only time I have ever lost a fish I can chalk it up to angler error....with a few exceptions of not being able to turn ocean fish away from structure.(but hey that was error too as I didn't use tackle heavy enough to keep em out of the kelp/rocks right?) First off, a guy needs to be fishing with a balanced setup.......which would definitely means if you are using heavy drag/heavy line that you size hooks/hardware appropriately to your rod/line. Not saying this was an issue but just a statement of what one should do.

Now to address your assertion that the connecting hardware isn't substantial enough outright Biggie. After reading these comments it made me curious so I went out to the garage and did some semi-scientific tests to see just what it would take to tear the joint apart on a Dynamo. I will preface this by stating that I used a dynamo that allready had it's structural integrity in question thanks to me accidentally leaving it in the sun in a clear plano box. Don't do that. The heat buildup in the body chambers causes the lure to swell when it gets really hot and this one appeared to have expansion cracks in the paint/body along the back of each of the main sections. I first used a digital scale and while securely holding the dynamo by the front split-ring I pulled directly on a single tine of the rear treble. For my test there was no give that would exist in the field from rod bend or line stretch.....just direct metal to metal pulling force on the lure. It took over 27lbs of force on a single tine of the rear treble before the tine broke off. No visible damage to the split ring and none to the connecting joint. I hooked the scale onto the second tine of the same damaged treble and once again it took 27lbs of force to break that single tine. No visible damage to any other components. I hooked the scale onto the remaining unbroken tine of the rear treble and pulled. At just over 22lbs of force the split-ring achoring the twice-broken rear treble finally gave out and pulled straight. I inspected the joints and there was no visible damage to any other part of the lure including the front split-ring where I had anchored it for the pull tests.

Next I decided to do whatever it would take to pull apart the connection hinge in between the main joints of the bait. I first tried to do this with hand strength and as strong as I am, I couldn't pull hard enough to budge anything. So I hooked some 300# test parachute cord around the back main section(the one where the rear treble anchors) and once again attached the digital scale. That scale only goes to 30lbs and I maxed the scale without any give or visible damage to the joint. I needed something stronger so I then used a 300lb spring scale used for weighing deer and draw weight on my bow. Even with the visible structural damage to the back of the lure and even after all the previous over-exertion on the lure from my tests it took over 47lbs of force to pull that joint apart. After it broke I inspected the individual components. No damage to the flat metal "eye" straps that hold the verticle connecting pin. The connecting pin itself was still almost straight too. the pin pulled free of the plastic mounts in the back main segment of the body due to separation of the two joined halves at the seam. The same seam that was already at least partially damaged from me leaving it in the sun. I was impressed and suprised to say the least. So in order for this particular previously damaged Dynamo to fail in the field I would have had to exert well over 20lbs of direct drag on it. I don't know anyone that even fishes here with a reel that is capable of exerting that much drag pressure that I know of. If you are fishing with 60 or 80lb braid and the drag buttoned down then you need to be fishing the appropriate terminal tackle for that setup. This would definitely include the appropriate size 3 or 4x strong forged hooks and welded rings rather than split rings. If there is any individual failure of a lure due to outright defect then any reputable manufacturer would happily replace it.....including dynamic.

A visual assessment is not enough to accurately guage the toughness of hardware......I was really suprised on just how much abuse this lure took.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I can somewhat see how scientific tests help your arguement. However bumble bees arent supposed to fly either ;D. physics and lures dont always go hand in hand. Vectors, equations,and formulas are no match for mother nature. The back portions of the lure "work" themselves loose. Simple as that. I purchased these lures a while back before the whole peeing contest on the forum and made not one mention of this during that time. Now since it was brought up, there are quite a few anglers who have experienced the same result. Any swimbait that I have thrown will experience abuse beyond any swimming pool test. The constant abuse of just swimming the bait is stress alone. Not to mention the rigourous pounding it takes by being hurled through the air some forty plus yards landing on the water.

As far as setup, shimano curado 300e 20lb flouro on a crucial heavy action swimbait rod is quite sufficient. Agree?

Now as far as twisting goes, this is the true determing factor that I am concerned about. Lakers have the ability to twist lures differently than any other fish that I have encountered. This I feel is what breaks these lures and many other brands.

Observations were posted and suggestions on how to make lures more durable were posted.

Now here's my take. Lets try a bbz1 on those same R&D tests. Lets make this a fair comparison. I'll even supply the bbz1! Is that fair? This could be a new topic for the site. Instead of knot wars, we have Lure Wars!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
discloco said:
Well, I can somewhat see how scientific tests help your arguement. However bumble bees arent supposed to fly either ;D. physics and lures dont always go hand in hand. Vectors, equations,and formulas are no match for mother nature. The back portions of the lure "work" themselves loose. Simple as that. I purchased these lures a while back before the whole peeing contest on the forum and made not one mention of this during that time. Now since it was brought up, there are quite a few anglers who have experienced the same result. Any swimbait that I have thrown will experience abuse beyond any swimming pool test. The constant abuse of just swimming the bait is stress alone. Not to mention the rigourous pounding it takes by being hurled through the air some forty plus yards landing on the water.

As far as setup, shimano curado 300e 20lb flouro on a crucial heavy action swimbait rod is quite sufficient. Agree?

Now as far as twisting goes, this is the true determing factor that I am concerned about. Lakers have the ability to twist lures differently than any other fish that I have encountered. This I feel is what breaks these lures and many other brands.

Observations were posted and suggestions on how to make lures more durable were posted.

Now here's my take. Lets try a bbz1 on those same R&D tests. Lets make this a fair comparison. I'll even supply the bbz1! Is that fair? This could be a new topic for the site. Instead of knot wars, we have Lure Wars!
I appreciate your comments Oscar and that does sound like a perfect setup for pitching swimbaits. I would be interested in seeing some pictures from guys that have had fish break these connections.(sincerely) I simply haven't seen that problem. I do know that if you land one straight on a big flat rock on the shore after a long cast they can crack.......don't ask how I know this. ;D Other than that I have found no durability issues with them structurally. I know a number of guys that have been taking some really exceptional fish on them including pike in the mid-20lb range and nobody that I personally know that fishes them have had any issues with the connective hardware coming loose. Every line of lures has at least some rate of failure and I know the guys at dynamic will work hard to keep customers happy in those instances. I would be more than happy to pull on a bbz-1 with you......when we get done with it we can go out and chase some 'eyes together.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
To all reading this thread:

I simply was making an on the lake comparison. The BBZ-1 is simply more stable due to it's construction. The connecting joints are a little more stable looking than the Dynamic.

For the $$$ you really can't beat a Dynamic. The problem is you guys need to make a bait that goes deeper than 5'.

I have no reason not to throw your bait other than that.

Why is there a Dynamic thread that I see an Osprey swimbait in a Pike's face?

I know the general answer will be?

·
Registered
917 Posts
OK, So discloco pretty much has this one under control and between him and biggie smalls they have said everything I would have wanted to say. Plain and simple, I was throwing the Dynamo 7 inch floater and got whacked by a huge laker in at least 30 feet of water completley open, held on drag running and snap!!!, pulled it in and the back half (tail section) was completley gone. The hook was still intacked BUT the lure was broken..

This incident had nothing to do with my buddy chad losing a laker due to an errant mistake by his boating partner. That lure did not brake that time. ALSO, When fishing with fishinrod this year about a month ago, we lost two dynamos due to pike. These were not angler errors. Cmon, solesearcher and FFG, you know we know what the hell we are doing, all of us. We arent some amatures, (considering) We put in over 300 days a year on the water, ice fishin, fly fishin, lakers, pike, eyes, bass, trout, carp ,cats...etc... we know what good manufactured lures are and what it takes to brake cheap ones, and how to use them blah blah blah. Main point is Ive lost two lures myself, and watched two other anglers lose a lure a piece on different trips to two separate species of hard fighting trophy fish. One landed. I absolutley love supporting a colorado based company, and they do work. Bar-none. I do wish that replacements were available when stuff like this happens. I know its hard to make that a company policy what with being a new kid in town, but for a begining company I think it would be a good move until it is very well established. We would like to continue to use these baits but if they continue to brake we will probably have to excersise more and different options.... Take care.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts