Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on catching lakers on flies? I'v caught a few lakers in the shallows at the end of Arapahoe Bay on Granby on floating Rapalas but never been able to get any takes on flies. (My son got boared and started chunking the Rapalas one day and was just killin em so I put down my flyrod and chunked a few myself.)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ever since I caught my first laker this year I have wanted to ask this question. How do you get a fly so deep to them?

troutpocket-I love the lewis. It is one of my favorite rivers in the park. I was there in October two years ago and there were lake trout in the outlet. Big ones to. It was cool to see fish that big swiming around in a little stream.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A guy on another forum catches lakers in the fryingpan river below ruedi dam on flies. He just fishes like he does for the bows and browns and catches some.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A few years ago we caught lakers off the dam at Lake Hattie west of Laramie. This was in late fall. They were probably hassling the kokanee. We probably caught about 10 on big white or chartreuse woolly buggers on sinking lines. All were between 28" to 32". Good fun! John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've fished the pan quite a lot and never heard or saw anything about lakers there. Don't know much about them but I wouldn't think they could even survive there.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've fished the pan quite a lot and never heard or saw anything about lakers there. Don't know much about them but I wouldn't think they could even survive there.
I would tend to agree. I read everything I can get my hands on about the pan and have never heard that before.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I saw some pictures of cochise on wsa with a fish that sure looked like a laker. I'll see if I can find it. Ruedi reservoir has a bunch of lakers so I'm assuming the pan has some too. Also, my dad and I (drifting worms mind you) each caught a laker on the gunnison river below blue mesa this past year. So I bet you COULD get some there too.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think this is a laker. It may have been the splake though. My dad caught it drifting a nightcrawler (so I assume it would hit a nymph too). I couldn't find cochise's posts on wsa. wsa had a lot of its posts lost once in I believe august, and it must've been before that.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have that bug too. We catch them on flys while trolling, but I haven't caught one on a fly rod. Years ago I caught a few splake on a fly on the Blue and in Antero.

My condition was exacerbated after seeing many huge Lakers rolling around on surface at Stannard Rock in Michigan. I Periodically see lakers on the surface here, so now I keep a fly rod on my boat for just such an occassion.

This spring right after ice out, I'm going to try at Granby, really shallow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Ever since I caught my first laker this year I have wanted to ask this question. How do you get a fly so deep to them?
I was fishing a type 3 full sink line a 6wt rod. I probably would have been better off with a type 5 but I was catching fish. I was counting the leech down for close to a full minute before stripping it back in. Long, slow strips were the ticket. The leech was a variation of a Probasco's Night Leech . . .basically a body of pearl cactus chenille with a zonker strip tied in at the tail running over the top of the entire hook and tied off just behind the conehead.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
during the spawn, lakers move in shallow and they are accesible on the fly rod in that short window of oppurtunity. I have taken a few at Willy's fork fishing for pike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what time of year is that? I guess it would be close to the same at Granby or at Taylor Park? By the way, anyone have a link to a pattern for the bunny leece? I've been trying to ty one but my tying bench looks kinda like someone's been butchering cats with all the hair.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
To my best knowledge, this is the lake trout spawning ritual...From late summer to December, lake trout spawn in shallow, gravel-bottomed water. There is no nest, but males clear the spawning ground of debris. The eggs are laid on the gravel and settle among the stones; they remain there for the winter and hatch in early spring. I have always cought them in late fall on the fly and early spring when pike are typically in about 5-10 feet of water.

As for the bunny leech or as we call it in the pike world the "bunny fly"...its about as easy to tie if not easier then a bugger.

Here's how I do them.

1. Wrap thread back to bend and tie on a 4-6 inch magnum rabbit strip. (I typically use hooks from 1/0-4/0)
2. This is optional, but I like to top the rabit strip with either silver or rainbow colored tinsil...sometime red deepending on water clarity.
3. Wrap the entire hook length with lead wire (the bunny fly is highly bouyant and when stripped fast barely gets under the water's film)
4. Then I tie on another rabbit strip and palmer it forward to the hook eye (some people use cross cut rab/strips but I prefer the bushier mag cuts)
5. Once you have the palmered strip secured at the base of the hook eye, there are several options for a head. Some use dumbell eyes, some use bead chain, some build a head with thread and then epoxy coat it with prismatic eyes and some dont even bother with a head and just whip finish them. I really like the bead-chaine eyes...but its all personal preferance.

Note: use 3/0 heavy thread. Aslo, my lakers were cought on decievers..but I would speculate a bunny fly would be just as succesful. I prefer casting a lighter deciever as opposed to a 5 ounce bunny fly when wet!

·
Registered
113 Posts
glassfishin said:
By the way, anyone have a link to a pattern for the bunny leece?  I've been trying to ty one but my tying bench looks kinda like someone's been butchering cats with all the hair.
Here's the one that I tie:http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5362&size=medium&cat=18112&page=1

Not my pic, but this is the recipe that I use. Sub white for black and add a conehead. I don't add any additional weight beyond the cone because I prefer the line to do most of the work.

TP

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. I'll be ready for em now!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I caught one nice laker on a black marabou tungsten bullethead streamer (size 8 hook, I think). It was spring, and I was trolling the streamer up a channel adjacent to a large, fairly shallow flat about three-four weeks after ice out. I had to leave right after, but suspect the same method might produce more lakers under the same conditions. I might also have put some lead wrap on the hook shank when tying the streamer (can't remember), but I fished with both floating and sinking line that day - not sure which I was using when I caught the fish, but I would estimate I was in about 10-15 FOW.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like they go after the bushy stuff. I have seen TV shows where they are catching lakers on flies in Canada I guess. Just never saw anyone targeting them around here. Felt kinda silly being up shallow with a fly rod while everyone else seemed to be dragging downriggers in 100' of water. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts