Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to get out of town and clear my head after getting bad news of a sick friend and my mom just getting home from the hospital. Moms is ok, the friend probly not so much. Anyways what better therapy than fishing in the middle of a frozen lake so I took off for 3 days of insane laker fishing. Friday I caught only 5 fish but one was a new PB mack at 37" and fat as hell! Didn't get a weight on her because it was a long fight and wanted to get her released quickly. Sat was a numbers day of over 20 fish, biggest was around #5. Sunday was wierd weather with a hit and run bite, I caught 14 with the biggest around #5. I hooked a 14" laker and half way up something BIG attacked the poor little guy. I fought the monster for 15 seconds till she let go of the little one. Never had that happen to me when icefishing before.
The bottom layer of ice was still a good 1' of hard clear ice with 8" of crusty shlushy crap on top, made it real tough to get around in the afternoon. I think it could be fished for another 2 weeks or more but who would want to strugle with that shitty shlushy crust. Caught fish in 55' to 80' on the bottom and suspended to nearly the top of the ice.
Enjoy some picts

My new Pb, I'll never forget that fight!

A squeeze back down the hole

Crazy how different these fish can look, this one was almost black

This one was onange

The lucky one that escaped the attack with a few scars and torn gill cover

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any guess on the weight of the laker? I think around #20.
It just didn't feel right to hang her from a scale and risk hurting her just for a number on it.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Very nice. Beautiful colors. If that's an eight inch hole..it looks like a 32 ..33 inch fish with a bit of a belly.. My guess 15..16 lbs.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats on the great fish! It's really hard to get Laker pics that show their colors -- nice job! 8)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I slid a tape under her and pinched the tail together like they do at the three lakes tourny and it was 36" 7/8ths. Yes 8" auger.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Very Nice, if it had a 21" girth it would be 20lbs, the circumference of an 8" hole is just over 25" and a 25" girth comes out to 29lbs lber. I've had 2 that wouldn't fit through that I had to drill a second hole to get out. I never weigh em and just check their girth and use the calculations for a close estimate sometimes, if you do want to weigh one and don't have a cradle you can easily do it with a white kitchen bag. What a great fish. I've seen a lot more chewed on small ones this year then ever, self sustaining population. I got a dark 37"er on the 22nd, cooler weather coming should firm the top up for some mornings next week for few final fast and furious episodes before heading back to Powell, just finished smoking some, love this time of year!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just after I let her go I regretted not getting a measurement on the girth of the fish to calculate the weight of her. I did have to push just a bit to get her back down the hole, just very slightly, and she was kicking hard so I just let go.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the sling idea to weigh a fish.

Thanks for the help on the weight estimation, you guys realy know your Lakers. That one will be hard to beat for me, my 2nd #20+ pound laker, I'm going for a #30+ next.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Really nice fish! Nice job on the personal best, sounds like you had a good trip. And I hope everyone gets well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts