Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Mustang,

I would put one rod out with the sucker meat, and cast a second rod with long casting crank bait, big flashy spoon, or white / chartreuse tube jig. You could tip any of these with a bit of sucker. Move around till you find fish. Also pay attention to when a lake is stocked with rainbow. Rainbow colored crank baits work really well then. The lakers/splake at Jefferson (10,700 feet) stay pretty close to shore year round (I think it's now closed till June 1st).

Terre

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
re flatfish,

They troll OK but don't cast worth a darn. I have not caught many fish on them, probably because they are not one of my go to lures. My grandfather used them, my dad used them on occasion, so I bought them and leave them in my tackle box.

I think Like2fish is right, I much perfer a spoon like a laker taker, little cleo, crocodile, or daredevil. All silver, silver and blue, silver and chartreuse, or silver and red work well for me, casting or trolling. A steady retrieve is not as effective as a pull, pause, pull pause retreive.

Finally, much to my chagrin, I have caught some lake trout with or adding powerbait.

Terre

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.