Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a blitz trip down to the Sangres for an overnighter at Lakes of the Clouds.  Left COS at 4PM, got to the trailhead at 6, made the 5 mile hike and set up camp between the upper and middle lakes around 8:30.  It rained a bit during the night so I slept in until almost 7:30 - then hit the lakes with full gore-tex to fend off the drenched willows. This is a view of Spread Eagle Peak from the upper lake. 

All three lakes have a nice dropoff around them with the lakes getting smaller as you go up.  Rio Grande cutts were in all the lakes which have quite a bit of weeds as they are just below treeline (11,800').  To my surprise, huge bouquets of columbine were still in all their summer splendor on the south shore of the upper lake. 

True to its name, the clouds and mist rolled in around 9AM and stayed there until I left at noon for an evening appointment back in COS.  (I said it was a blitz trip!).

I caught fish in the upper and lower lakes on small parachute adams, mosquito and black fly patterns (yes, the common housefly!).  The fish weren't too finicky except in the middle lake.  Oh yeah, about the middle lake.  It's very weedy and full of nice size cutts in the 14"++ range.  The cutts look almost golden as they cruise against the dark weeds beneath them.  They were sipping something on the surface but I couldn't get them to take my trico spinner or blackfly patterns.  Since time was critical I moved on to the next lake and left this problem for another time.

Now for some of the fish:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great photos, my girl said she gets to post all the photos of flowers she takes on our fishing trips now. Go fishing and come home with 3 or 4 pictures of fishing and 30 or 40 pictures of flowers, I tell you what. :p
Thats a nice looking lake and some good looking fish you have there. I have to do some secluded fishing before the summer is over, running out of time fast.

M

·
0 Posts
absolutely beautiful scenery and fish, I also need to head up somewhere secluded

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Excellent photos and beautiful fish!

I am left here imagining what it would be like and thinking that I need to get out the flyrod and take a look for myself...

Thanks for the great post,
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Awesome, you got the best of everything that day, scenery and fish. Either one would have made that trip worthwhile by its self.

Dan

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wow those are some great pictures. That fish has so much color. That also looks like a nice flyrod worth a paycheck. What is it?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like that first ones coloring and its spotting...wow....makes you wonder sometimes the One who painted all those different fish we catch and scenaries out there must be "THE" GREATEST ARTIST!!

TH

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Trouthunter has hit it right on the head why I try to find these guys in beautiful high mountain lakes. While I had considered myself somewhat of a spiritual person, traveling up into the high country and seeing such sights makes me go through a quasi-religious experience. There must be a creator, I tell myself, otherwise, why would it all be so beautiful. Try if for yourself. It's good for your soul.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments guys - it was a great trip and well worth the hike!  I hope that you all get in there one day and experience those lakes.  

Gotmuskie, the best thing about that rod is it's cheap!  A Cabelas 9' 5 wt, 4 piece pack rod, about $85 without the reel if I remember correctly!  Ha! ;)

Also, my hunting friend brought in his spinning tackle and left long after me.  He told me today that he only fished the middle lake for about an hour but got about 10 cutts, all in the 14"+ range on a medium size daredevil.  He said that the weeds were so high that he had to hold the rod over his head, retrieve like crazy to keep it out of the weeds and then get hammered!  Go check it out.

_Colorado

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Love the pics and love those high lakes! I usually do many of those type lakes but hurt my back earlier this year so havent done as many.But the back is healed now so will prolly hit anothe r10 or so before winter.Great pics!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice pics, you should have waved as you drove by. i think ill have to hit that lake soon did you run into many others up there i hear a lot of people talking about that hike i kinda figured it might get some heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roadkill,

I had all three lakes to myself. There was a party of three hiking up as I was going out and two more people camped halfway. The trail is pretty long (5 miles), steep (~3000') and rugged that not many people will attempt it. I think that there is an ATV trail up to it although the lower stretch along Swift Creek is San Isabel Wilderness - I think the ATV trail skirts the wilderness and joins in closer to the lakes, although there were no signs of motorized vehicles.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yea i live right here in the valley and lake of the clouds is the one i here most locals talking about but good to here there arnt enough locals to really make a diff

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roadkill,

Now I understand the "should have waved as you drove by" comment. I have a buddy with connections to a house in Westcliffe and we're going to be down there in mid-September. Maybe we can meet on the Ark somewhere then.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the ark will work but i can think of nicer places to go no highway noise they are mostly smaller streams and a few easy access mountain lakes not big fish but awsome settings and and tasty brookies, bows,browns,cuts some are close to town others a good trail ride in to the hills if you dont have the 4X4 i can fit 4 +gear in the jeep

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a 4X4 so no problem on access. We're scheduled to visit my friends in Westcliffe the weekend of Sept 24th. Let's stay in touch for that weekend of it works out for you.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sound good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts