Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Going to hit Smith this weekend. I have some friends who have drug a few smallmouth out recently. Kendrick looks to shallow, and east reservoir looks about the same. Never tried main, maybe I'll give it a try.

Hit cottonwood lake today, which is in cottonwood park behind the walgreens at kipling and jewell. Caught three smallmouth, all in excess of 12 inches. One was about a 15 incher.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have fished Main Lake a couple of times over the years. Just a few LM bass. They say Smith has got good bass in it but I've never caught anything there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use to live just north of there and fished Main lake as a kid riding my bike down there. They stock it full of trout every spring which was fun for a 13 year old for sure to ride your bike to fish. There are also bluegill, cats and bass in there for sure. I have seen some decent fish come out of there. Across from there was Smith and there are some really nice fish in there but they are tough to catch. I always had better luck in the south east corner along the rocks with bait like minnows or worms or throwing hard baits and spinners late late in the evening as it was getting tough to even see you line to tie up again without a flashlight. Hope this helps. This time of year the trout ought to be thick in Main and can be best caught on the east side of the lake just north of the south side where the bank changes from dirt to rocks.
Hope this helps.
Craig

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I grew up fishing Main Lake--trout, cats, carp, walleye, bass, blue gills, crappie...you name it, the lake has it. Directly across Kipling is a lake we used to call "**** Lake" because it smelled funny. Caught loads of perch there.

South of those two lakes, is Cottonwood behind Walgreens/Burger King--pretty fun there. Pulled out some pretty big bass, crappie, and blue gills.

Across the street from there on Jewell is a lake I've never been to...kinda weird since I lived so close. Not too sure of the name.

East of there along Jewell are a few more ponds and Kendrick Lakes--Kendrick used to rock. I've caught some pretty big bass there--bait or lures. Although it's shallow by the playground, I've caught a lot of fish there by that little bridge. You lose a lot of jigs but you pull in a lot of fish. Try throwing lures off the pier by the church. Years ago there were some big cats being pull out of there...haven't been in awhile but just talking about Cottonwood and Kendricks makes me want to hit it up!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. Hit Smith this morning and caught one small mouth, about an eight incher. There were some big ones jumping. Going to try main sometime this weekend. It's so nice to be able to just pop over for an hour....thanks again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to live in lakewood and these were two lakes I started on. Some decent luck in main lake always at least one largemouth in the weeds or trees on the west side but not a huge producer. Smith was a great small mouth lake until last year, the rocky area on the east side was full of smallies but it just fell off last year. I went twice and didnt catch one decent sized fish. If it is still the same as the last couple years those BIG fish jumping out in the middle are carp (yuckk). Let me know please if the fishing has gotten better at these lakes, they can be a lot of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts