Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made up my mind and ordered a Guru. Seems like a great value and I'm all about value. I ordered the 2.0 size. I am wondering what kind of floating line to put on it though. Do you guys like weight forward or double tapered? I've used both and can't tell the difference. Also, is it worth it to get a bit pricier line? Do they last longer? I've gone through 3 lines (all fairly cheap) and it seems to me that they all start cracking after just a few months. They still work, but probably lose some floatation. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

PH

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I would use Scientific Anglers GPX in WF-5F with that rod, but my opinion really isn't worth too much. (I DO like to hear myself talk watch myself type, though.) ;D

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
SA GPX would be my first choice too... weight forward floating. The double taper is just not as easy to cast and wont load quite as easy... For good casters and dry fly enthusiets, the double taper is great, and if you roll cast a lot, it does roll cast better, but other than that, I would stick with the weight forward.

The pricier lines are nice, but the cheaper ones are fine. There are some great lines at $30.

My favorite line is Sage Performance Taper II which is discontinued. IT was $65/spool but now is pretty cheap on line.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
just bought two spools of Sage Performance taper II line for$35 each... love when my favorite stuff goes on clearance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Get an Airflo Supple Tactical Trout WF Ridge line and say goodbye to cracks. Mine's got over 150 days on the water and looks brand-new.
Made of Polyurethane instead of PVC, they're impervious to DEET, etc. The ridges make it shoot like Sharkskin without the noise and aggravation (or cost.)
After a season's experience with it, all my future lines will be Airflos.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
fuzzback said:
Get an Airflo Supple Tactical Trout WF Ridge line and say goodbye to cracks. Mine's got over 150 days on the water and looks brand-new.
Made of Polyurethane instead of PVC, they're impervious to DEET, etc. The ridges make it shoot like Sharkskin without the noise and aggravation (or cost.)
just make sure you don't let your slack hang on the ground, those ridgelines pick up sand and debris much worse than smooth line. They do cast nicely though, and I see those on sale from time to time too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
fuzzback said:
just make sure you don't let your slack hang on the ground, those ridgelines pick up sand and debris much worse than smooth line. They do cast nicely though, and I see those on sale from time to time too.
I haven't seen that problem. Mine's the new "supple" version - it's been pretty much the perfect line so far. It's obvious I won't be needing a new one next year. That's going to be a novel experience compared to the SA's, Rio's and Cortlands of the past -

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
I haven't heard much good about those sage lines, but I have seen them on sale. I guess you like them? What weights have you used and on what sticks?
It's interesting Funk... I have never heard of anyone liking or disliking the sage PTII line... I use it on my winston BIIx in 3 and 5 wt and used it on my Sage z axis...

The reason I like the line is because it has a long taper at the leader end. The line is heavy enough to load a fast action rod properly but the end of the line is thin. It still floats great when nymphing, but when I go to streamers, it is easier to sink the tip when fishing deep... And because the taper is longer, the amount of tip I can sink is more.

Next, I like the long tip because when mending, the weight is closer to me and the long thin end makes less movement on the water and adjusts easier. The line really mends well, and I contribute that to the longer end taper.

For distance casting, I prefer GPX taper SA... but for my go to rods for trout, I want to be versatile and cause as little comotion as possible.

I had switched to GPX on my 5 wt for a while, but one night I put the GPX on a 4wt custom to try the custom (didn't have a 4wt line at the time).. I strung the Sage on my 5wt and there was no comparison... the sage was just perfect...

It may just work well with the action of the winstons, but I love it... and now I love the price... Will be stockpiling it for sure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice! I bought the reel from fish west and they spool it up for you and there is a choice of two free lines or you can pay a bit more and upgrade. I went with the 5wt. SA GPX for an extra 20 bucks. Free shipping as well. If you haven't checked them out it a very good online store with great customer service. I do like to support the local fly shops, but sometimes buying on line is the only way I can shop with the little ones demanding so much attention. Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'm going to love this reel with the TFO. Can't wait to get it. Merry Christmas to me!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So stoked! Got my Guru on Thursday. Never owned such a nice reel. I've been fishing with 25 dollar reels since I started slinging string. My TFO is back ordered a few weeks so I'll have to wait on that. I hope some of the ice melts off the river here in town so I can go test out my new reel. Can't wait. I will post my opinion and hopefully a couple of pics of some fish caught on my new set up. Laters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts