Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Northern CA some of the lakes are also stocked w/ King Salmon. Any ideas why we can't do this in CO? This project was done by volunteers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
You can find out more about the CA efforts here:
http://www.kokanee.org/projects.htm

Project King Salmon, as they call it, has been quite successful, and now they're also stocking coho salmon in their larger lakes.  One thing the California folk have going for them is the size of the lakes where the salmon are being stocked, most of them are big (though a few, like Lake Spaulding, are quite small).

Lake Shasta - 29,500 surface acres
Lake Almanor - 24,000 surface acres
Lake Berryessa - 18,000 surface acres
Trinity Lake - 16,000 surface acres
Lake Oroville - 15,800 surface acres
Lake Don Pedro - 13,000 surface acres
Folsom Lake - 10,000 surface acres
McClure Lake - 7,100 surface acres
Lake Spaulding - 700 surface acres

You'd also have to ask yourself...what would the king salmon eat?  At Lake Shasta, we used to catch them by finding the schools of baitfish (shad, usually) and then mooch under those with anchovies.  Other lakes have good pond smelt populations, but most of the higher elevation lakes in Colorado don't have much in the way of baitfish, unless you count juvenile trout and kokanee...and you don't want to have those eaten, do you? If you want to seriously look into this, talk to some of the CDOW biologists to find out why the salmon went into Williams Fork, how they did, and why they've not stocked them there again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FishDr, Right on! I was a big supporter of CIFF when I lived there. Caught a few kings from Folsom as well. I'm hoping a CDOW biologist can chime in and shed some light on the topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm having a conf call w/ Sep Hendrickson (Executive Director for CIFF) next week. We have exchanged a couple emails so now we are going to get a little deeper into it. I'll keep u posted. I still need some CDOW biologists to chime in to see if this is even managable!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Here is the state record, I have heard that Dillon use to have chinook in it years ago.

Chinook
1989
Williams Fork Reservoir (Grand County)
11-0 #
28.5"
Helen Eaton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Just like large lake trout, large Salmon want to eat bigger meals,,, they need food, and we don't have it in our cold water mountain reservoirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
jeffmonument said:
I'm having a conf call w/ Sep Hendrickson (Executive Director for CIFF) next week. We have exchanged a couple emails so now we are going to get a little deeper into it. I'll keep u posted. I still need some CDOW biologists to chime in to see if this is even managable!!
Can't wait to hear the details.


[me=Jay_In_Centennial] [/me]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Seems like we had enough food for an 11 pound king salmon in Williams Fork. WF is up in the mountains, right? nearly all of the high mountain predatory (read lake trout) I've caught in mountain lakes have been pretty fat. Not every chinook will grow to 11 pounds, most will be in the 2 to 3 pound range (Im guessing)when you catch them, thus making them about the same size as a decent "eater" lake trout, good sized rainbow, or brown trout, all pretty voracious predatory fish and I don't see them eating themselves out of house and home. I don't think our lakes would have any problem supporting a population of chinooks. Bring on the kings ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Rather than introduce a new species that will eventually cause heartburn (i.e. lake Trout vs. kokanee), just save your money and go fish them in Alaska or the Great Lakes. CO already has a nice variety of species to pursue, lets not get greedy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
walleye970 said:
Ask yourself what is the life expectancy of a king salmon or any Pacific salmon for that.  Is the cost to return benefit worth it.  The DOW has raised fees because of short falls and they are stretched covering other non-game species.  I am all about our money working towards fishery related things but personally, I would rather see funds going to pay for water rights for minimum elevations in our existing fisheries or to allocate funds to purchase leases or acquire new land.  IMAO if you want to catch kings take a trip back home.   My two cents worth...not trying to stir the pot, just my opinion.  Collie
money will be (and always is) the bottom line... :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
I think I read in a fishing mag 2 years ago that there was a private lake in the Fort Collins area with stealhead. Did anyone else see that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
Nutmg1 said:
I think I read in a fishing mag 2 years ago that there was a private lake in the Fort Collins area with stealhead.  Did anyone else see that?
No offense bro, but, ...

1. What does it matter if someone puts a salmon or a Vietnamese three-eyed catfish in his private lake?

2. I don't think a rainbow trout is considered a steelhead until it returns from the ocean, so it's difficult to figure how steelhead could be in a private lake (in Colorado).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
just to chime in but a steelhead does not have to come from the ocean, ask anyone from the great lakes areas what there fishing for in the spring and fall!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
littlemac said:
just to chime in but a steelhead does not have to come from the ocean, ask anyone from the great lakes areas what there fishing for in the spring and fall!
Yep, that's true; all kinds of salmon live in the Great Lakes and run up feeder rivers/streams to spawn. Good point.
 
G

·
walleye970 said:
Ask yourself what is the life expectancy of a king salmon or any Pacific salmon for that.  Is the cost to return benefit worth it.  The DOW has raised fees because of short falls and they are stretched covering other non-game species.  I am all about our money working towards fishery related things but personally, I would rather see funds going to pay for water rights for minimum elevations in our existing fisheries or to allocate funds to purchase leases or acquire new land.  IMAO if you want to catch kings take a trip back home.   My two cents worth...not trying to stir the pot, just my opinion.  Collie
I second that.  I would rather see the $$$ go to something with lasting impact as opposed to subsidizing another strain of DOW hatchery pets.  We have enough species.  Let's make the quality of our existing fishing better.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top