Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so much to learn. I didn't even know what a Hudd was or that the big swimbaits were a thing. did a little reading and a little watching and the only thing I don't really see is much on line weight. it looks like the 5" ones weigh 1 1/4 oz or so and the 8" get up to 2 1/2....so for our fairly clear colorado waters what do you tie those on to? I've got 6lb on every reel except the UL setup which has 4lb.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I hope this doesn't come off offensive or condescending, but man, you're not really ready for that swimbait game.

Seriously. If you're as green as you say you are, I'd just focus on learning and using general fishing gear for most types of Colorado fishing.

Swimbait fishing is another level altogether. Lots of financial (if you want to do it right) investment. Lots of time investment. Lots and lots of not catching fish investment.

PM me if you're still trying to do it though. But, if it were me, I'd be happy just catching trout, walleyes and bass on a nice med spinning rod, if I was just starting out.

:thumb:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Yep. What wiggles said. You'd need a new combo....prolly a $150 rod and a $200 reel. Plus new 20-25lb flouro line. Not to mention the swimbaits themselves which are not cheap. It sucks losing a $20 lure :lol:

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
It's a penis size/inferiority complex thing. They feel better about their shortcomings if they huck 8" dildoes around. OOPS I meant swimbaits-

OOOh looky at this massive Hudd I just picked up--(wink,wink)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not offended at all and I love the education I'm getting here. this isn't so much an I'm gonna go buy it thing as just learning more.

I feel like I've got trout pretty well figured out. I can trick the big ones at 11 mile and the little ones in the mountains and despite my efforts I keep catching them at chatfield when I'm looking for other stuff. I'm looking forward to spring for some more fly and bobber trout action up in WY.

bass we're sorta getting there, but honestly I'm not focused on bass at all. I luck into them and that's it.

Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
It's a penis size/inferiority complex thing. They feel better about their shortcomings if they huck 8" dildoes around. OOPS I meant swimbaits-

Lmao!!!
Pretty funny
We don't throw them for your baby 6lb trout though

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.
They can be frustrating. Keep at it. Fish with people that know what they're doing.

I know two EXCELLENT walleye fishermen that both went fishing at Chatty together just a few nights ago. Both skunked. I've fished with both of them at separate times and seen them pull 10# eyes out. It's a timing thing. Get there when they're on the chew, and you'll stick them.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts

Says the guy that railed against electric augers, cuz they weren't "manly" enough for him!

:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They can be frustrating. Keep at it. Fish with people that know what they're doing.
my offer to bring the beer, hot chocolate or whatever and generally not be a douche stands for anyone who wants to let me join them.

totally appreciate the education on here. it's neat to learn so much and get into a new hobby that does not involve the television.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
$20 is a cheap swimbait! Those suckers can go for $75-100

I would never want to admit how much i've paid for some swimbaits.....but 20 is prolly about average for your usual swimbait....hudds, 3:16, bbz, etc. You don't strike me much as a swimbait thrower, Dallas :lol: what combo do you use?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Man, hard to not pay $120 for a swimbait that won me 3k in a tournament. :biggrin1:

But screw that noise. I'm with Riv. $20 is about average, and with some of the new ones (like Savage Baits), you can buy some for less than I've paid for some jerk baits. :eek:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It's kinda the wrong time to be getting into swimbaits. Put that excitement on hold until springtime. Then one of the swimbait dudes or myself would probably be happy to show you the basics and fish with you. Not that I'm done throwing sbs....just not much time left. Hoping to get a big laker on one soon.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You don't strike me much as a swimbait thrower, Dallas :lol: what combo do you use?
I'm not a swimbait guy.

Not sure how being aware that some swimbaits cost $75-100 made me come off as a wannabe "expert"

I don't know jack about swimbaits besides seeing some go for over $100.

I've seen used swimbaits on bassresource.com sell for over $90 each!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I'm not a swimbait guy.

Not sure how being aware that some swimbaits cost $75-100 made me come off as a wannabe "expert"

I don't know jack about swimbaits besides seeing some go for over $100.

I've seen used swimbaits on bassresource.com sell for over $90 each!

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Don't be messing' wit da SB boys, Dallas! Dey work u over butt good wit dem rats!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts