Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Idk. Personally, I think if you are serious about throwing swimbaits you need to rig up with swimbaits, and only swimbaits. Maybe a jig or senko rod just incase... but IMO gaining any amount of confidence with swimbaits is going to take a hell of a lot longer if you only make a few casts each trip. I personally would recommend spending a week straight fishing them. To each their own, either way to the OP take the majorities advice and run the other way :D
I definitely agree about going all out if gaining confidence in swimbaits is truly your goal. I just meant that if someone was completely green to the sb game they may want to take it slow the first few weeks/month so their expectations aren't shattered and they burn out immediately. Once you are comfortable with some waterbodies and your casting abilities and start to realize that most skunks are out of your control, it becomes more reasonable to fully commit to the swimbait. When I knew absolutely nothing about fishing big baits I thought it would be a great idea to go hardcore right out of the gate. What happened is that I quit catching fish in lakes that I normally did. The continual toll of that piled up on me to where I almost quit before I even got started.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
BM,
That's what happens when you get an expensive lure hung up so you pull and pull and pull your line until it rockets back atcha!

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Swimbaits... you just cast em out and reel them back in... how hard is that?

No harder than any other bait... figure out depth, cadence, sink rate with different lines, what you can and can't do. If you aren't doing that with cranks, tubes, jerks etc., you prolly aint real good at it. That said, leaning to cast with a baitcaster with 6 dollar baits that are relatively easy to cast is a good idea.

One of the best swimbait fishermen I know said something that stayed with me that is great for noobs... Get three baits, one for the surface area, one for mid range depths and one deeper bait and fish nothing else for a while. Learn those baits well.

They take practice, and subtleties can be the reason you do better or worse. Lastly, don't assume that because you fish bigger baits, you will catch bigger fish. Sometimes that is the case, other times, not so much.

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
I prefer catching large fish on small baits and light line. Seems more sporting, don't you think?

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
My best wiper of 18-4 came on 4 lb test and was a hoot...it still didnt stop me from going out and buying a swimbait rod and swimbaits and catching wipers to 15 lbs and it was just as fun...it took me a few trips to fool one...I remember that day...3 foot waves in clearish water and I had over 30 follows and hits...that inhale and thump isn't as easy to hook as you think...there can be a split second delay that goes against conventional hook set wisdom...as I learned long ago in fishing there is no swiss army knife for fishing...no one best tactic or way...whatever works best on any given day based on conditions and forage...I do think bigger baits turn bigger fishes heads but a larger bait gives a big fish a lot better look at the offering and a bigger chance for the fish to know something is a miss...it is fun and I have to thank FishDr for showing me the way and the light back in the day...it ain't easy that's for sure and I had to laugh as Doc put it best earlier in the thread...

while your thumb erodes to a bloody nub and your rotator cuff slowly but surely turns into something akin to pulled pork, complete with blood-red barbecue sauce, and nothing is willing to go leviathan on your lure.
always a challenge...that makes it fun...and as Don In Durango always said..."if it were easy f*cking girl scouts would do it...

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
What do you think of this bait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was a picture taken in the dark I would of bet money that the hand in the picture is Neal's hand!!!!...now what did I do with the nippers, neosporin, bandage and vicodin?

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
My best wiper of 18-4 came on 4 lb test and was a hoot...it still didnt stop me from going out and buying a swimbait rod and swimbaits and catching wipers to 15 lbs and it was just as fun...it took me a few trips to fool one...I remember that day...3 foot waves in clearish water and I had over 30 follows and hits...that inhale and thump isn't as easy to hook as you think...there can be a split second delay that goes against conventional hook set wisdom...as I learned long ago in fishing there is no swiss army knife for fishing...no one best tactic or way...whatever works best on any given day based on conditions and forage...I do think bigger baits turn bigger fishes heads but a larger bait gives a big fish a lot better look at the offering and a bigger chance for the fish to know something is a miss...it is fun and I have to thank FishDr for showing me the way and the light back in the day...it ain't easy that's for sure and I had to laugh as Doc put it best earlier in the thread...

always a challenge...that makes it fun...and as Don In Durango always said..."if it were easy f*cking girl scouts would do it...

Z KNOWS!!!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
41 - 60 of 77 Posts