Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

large swimbaits

11K views 76 replies 24 participants last post by  Ninja 
#1 ·
so much to learn. I didn't even know what a Hudd was or that the big swimbaits were a thing. did a little reading and a little watching and the only thing I don't really see is much on line weight. it looks like the 5" ones weigh 1 1/4 oz or so and the 8" get up to 2 1/2....so for our fairly clear colorado waters what do you tie those on to? I've got 6lb on every reel except the UL setup which has 4lb.

#2 ·
I hope this doesn't come off offensive or condescending, but man, you're not really ready for that swimbait game.

Seriously. If you're as green as you say you are, I'd just focus on learning and using general fishing gear for most types of Colorado fishing.

Swimbait fishing is another level altogether. Lots of financial (if you want to do it right) investment. Lots of time investment. Lots and lots of not catching fish investment.

PM me if you're still trying to do it though. But, if it were me, I'd be happy just catching trout, walleyes and bass on a nice med spinning rod, if I was just starting out.

:thumb:

#4 ·
It's a penis size/inferiority complex thing. They feel better about their shortcomings if they huck 8" dildoes around. OOPS I meant swimbaits-

OOOh looky at this massive Hudd I just picked up--(wink,wink)

#5 ·
not offended at all and I love the education I'm getting here. this isn't so much an I'm gonna go buy it thing as just learning more.

I feel like I've got trout pretty well figured out. I can trick the big ones at 11 mile and the little ones in the mountains and despite my efforts I keep catching them at chatfield when I'm looking for other stuff. I'm looking forward to spring for some more fly and bobber trout action up in WY.

bass we're sorta getting there, but honestly I'm not focused on bass at all. I luck into them and that's it.

Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.

#7 ·
Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.
They can be frustrating. Keep at it. Fish with people that know what they're doing.

I know two EXCELLENT walleye fishermen that both went fishing at Chatty together just a few nights ago. Both skunked. I've fished with both of them at separate times and seen them pull 10# eyes out. It's a timing thing. Get there when they're on the chew, and you'll stick them.

#15 ·
It's kinda the wrong time to be getting into swimbaits. Put that excitement on hold until springtime. Then one of the swimbait dudes or myself would probably be happy to show you the basics and fish with you. Not that I'm done throwing sbs....just not much time left. Hoping to get a big laker on one soon.

#26 ·
Hahaaaa. Don't knock the blue cheese till you try it. My buddy brought me in a butterflied trout the other day stuffed with blue cheese and onions. I thought I was gonna die but nope. It was really good.

I watched a guy hurl a big swimbait once up at lake dead prez once. It was crazy. I know I've seen him on a fishing show before. Can't remember who he was though. Some quide outta aurora or something. I didn't look to close at his rig but it was fancy. Trying to look up
Rigs now

#49 ·
Swimbaits... you just cast em out and reel them back in... how hard is that?

No harder than any other bait... figure out depth, cadence, sink rate with different lines, what you can and can't do. If you aren't doing that with cranks, tubes, jerks etc., you prolly aint real good at it. That said, leaning to cast with a baitcaster with 6 dollar baits that are relatively easy to cast is a good idea.

One of the best swimbait fishermen I know said something that stayed with me that is great for noobs... Get three baits, one for the surface area, one for mid range depths and one deeper bait and fish nothing else for a while. Learn those baits well.

They take practice, and subtleties can be the reason you do better or worse. Lastly, don't assume that because you fish bigger baits, you will catch bigger fish. Sometimes that is the case, other times, not so much.

#51 ·
My best wiper of 18-4 came on 4 lb test and was a hoot...it still didnt stop me from going out and buying a swimbait rod and swimbaits and catching wipers to 15 lbs and it was just as fun...it took me a few trips to fool one...I remember that day...3 foot waves in clearish water and I had over 30 follows and hits...that inhale and thump isn't as easy to hook as you think...there can be a split second delay that goes against conventional hook set wisdom...as I learned long ago in fishing there is no swiss army knife for fishing...no one best tactic or way...whatever works best on any given day based on conditions and forage...I do think bigger baits turn bigger fishes heads but a larger bait gives a big fish a lot better look at the offering and a bigger chance for the fish to know something is a miss...it is fun and I have to thank FishDr for showing me the way and the light back in the day...it ain't easy that's for sure and I had to laugh as Doc put it best earlier in the thread...

while your thumb erodes to a bloody nub and your rotator cuff slowly but surely turns into something akin to pulled pork, complete with blood-red barbecue sauce, and nothing is willing to go leviathan on your lure.
always a challenge...that makes it fun...and as Don In Durango always said..."if it were easy f*cking girl scouts would do it...

#55 ·
My best wiper of 18-4 came on 4 lb test and was a hoot...it still didnt stop me from going out and buying a swimbait rod and swimbaits and catching wipers to 15 lbs and it was just as fun...it took me a few trips to fool one...I remember that day...3 foot waves in clearish water and I had over 30 follows and hits...that inhale and thump isn't as easy to hook as you think...there can be a split second delay that goes against conventional hook set wisdom...as I learned long ago in fishing there is no swiss army knife for fishing...no one best tactic or way...whatever works best on any given day based on conditions and forage...I do think bigger baits turn bigger fishes heads but a larger bait gives a big fish a lot better look at the offering and a bigger chance for the fish to know something is a miss...it is fun and I have to thank FishDr for showing me the way and the light back in the day...it ain't easy that's for sure and I had to laugh as Doc put it best earlier in the thread...

always a challenge...that makes it fun...and as Don In Durango always said..."if it were easy f*cking girl scouts would do it...

Z KNOWS!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.