1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lmb

·
Registered
16 Posts
A largemouth with red eyes......hmmm.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have never caught a LMB with red eyes. So since I figured I was confused enough...today I called the CDOW here in FT.Collins and talked to a gentleman...I think his name was Jack. He said if it has red eyes, it is not a pure LMB. Most likely a hybrid of some sort because smallies and spots usually only have red eyes. and now looking at the picture posted....I think it's a spot for another reason. If you follow the jaw line of the mouth...it would end directly under the eye. An LMB extends behind the eye. It's hard to see any bridge in the dorsal fins because the dorsal is laid down. Help me understand why this is an LMB. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have never caught a LMB with red eyes. So since I figured I was confused enough...today I called the CDOW here in FT.Collins and talked to a gentleman...I think his name was Jack. He said if it has red eyes, it is not a pure LMB. Most likely a hybrid of some sort because smallies and spots usually only have red eyes. and now looking at the picture posted....I think it's a spot for another reason. If you follow the jaw line of the mouth...it would end directly under the eye. An LMB extends behind the eye. It's hard to see any bridge in the dorsal fins because the dorsal is laid down. Help me understand why this is an LMB. Am I missing something?
There has been an ongoing argument here for years between the know-it-all wanna be fish biologists who will argue that is a LM until hell freezes over.
I think that it is a spot for the reasons you mentioned above... but I'm sure some will chime in telling us we are full of excrement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the only lake in Colorado that has spotted bass in Pueblo Lake. Spotted bass are very common through out the south. Next week I am fishing Dale Hollow Lake in Tenn for two weeks. I will take some pics and post them. The Spotted bass also know as a "Kentucky Bass" have a tuff of skin inside their mouth. I think it is on their tongue. A lot of anglers report catching LMB at Plow but they are actually spotted bass. The state stocked them a few years ago because like the SMB, they are good a spawning. They are getting to be nice sized in Plow. At Dale Hollow Lake they are very beautiful and vibrant. The smaller ones are very good eating and the state encourages harvesting them. Not sure how this reply helps the post but they are a fun fish to catch. I hope more places get stocked with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts