Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished a local pond last night and caught a couple nice largemouth.  Both went 17".  I'm ashamed to say I caught the first on a 1" red/white tube jig under a bobber that I have been using to catch some crappie.  The second came on a mini strike king (white) with a white bucktail jig.  Both were released.  I'm sorry about not naming the location, but I hope you understand.  If you have been there, you might recognize it from these pics. 

Second Fish

First Fish

I took this picture myself.  I don't know what I was thinking holding the fish behind my head.

Picture of the lake.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, don't be ashamed of catching a bass on a 1" tube jig under a float. Where I'm from, that happens all the time when crappie fishing, early in the season. The bass move in shallow to spawn as well and will readily hit a smaller presentation, particularly this time of year. Nice fish, congrats and best of luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice action getting into some largemouth. I'm still waiting for my good LM of the season, I've only had a 12 or 13" on a small grub so far. Come on warm weather! How warm was the water that you were fishing? About four or five days ago I was reading some water temps in the low 50's so maybe the water has gotten a little warmer then that.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Derajaman said:
  About four or five days ago I was reading some water temps in the low 50's so maybe the water has gotten a little warmer then that.
Everything I've fished in FTC lately has been at about 55 degrees and from what I can tell, all the females became uninterested after about 51 degrees. I can only manage a couple smallish (10-12") guys lately after catching some decent sized fish when the water was cooler. I'd like to get the weirdness of the spawn over with and get into the summer period as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't be sure, but I estimate the water was right about 50*. It's still pretty cold. I was surprised that I didn't get into more small ones. I caught an 8" largemouth a couple days earlier. This is about the time I start hammerin' the small ones on small grubs or small roostertails. I've never had much luck fishing crankbaits in ponds for largemouth. What style of crankbait is good this time of year? I've fished rapalas and rat-l-traps for other species in larger bodies, but have never found a lot of success with crankbaits.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Right now, Try something suspending with a wide wobble...I like the x-rap. Retrieve it in a slow, pause, slow, pause manner. Husky jerks work well for this as well (I know these aren't really crankbaits..but close) In warmer water I like the shad raps...especially the shallow runner in shallow ponds. You can also try the small fat type cranks like a storm wiggle wart, rapala fat rap, and the like. Along similar lines...floating original rapalas are really fun in the summer fished just under the surface and then allowed to pause and float to the surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts