Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Last CO Fishing Trip

1K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  mogul buster 
#1 · (Edited)
Tonight was our last fishing trip before we pack up all the rods and move to Tennessee this weekend. The next few days are hardcore packing and cleaning... Wanted to get out tonight and we had but a very short time to do somthing worthwhile.

Only had an hour to fish and it started off BADLY....

Get there, first cast, the reel gets a massive bird's nest and 15 screaming kids run over and start talking to Buck and me. Then, as I'm untangling my mess, 3 kids with fishing rods run over and cast RIGHT in front of us... The ground was muddy and we kept slipping and sliding all over the bank, Buck actually fell and got his shoe stuck in 8" of mud. Bad start.

We moved as far away from the craziness as we could, putting distance between us and the insanity... Then, things mellowed down.

First fish was on the first cast at our new location... As soon as the rig hit the water, the bobber sank. I wondered if we had some kind of terminal tackle problem, but Buck knew better. He set the hook and reeled this nice fella in.

After that, we had ZERO bites on the jig, walking halfway round the lake. It was time to change tactics.

**Nightcrawler and bobber

Buck was really doing well, but had a tough time transitioning his retrieve technique from jig to worm. I explained that the bump-reel-wait-bump-reel-wait technique which works so well on the jig doesn't work quite the same with a straight hook and worm. He had a tough time with the transition.

But... as he so often seems to do... he was able to make it work for him.

Only two fish landed tonight, both on Buck's rod, both feisty, both released.

I will miss that pond very much. It has been our go-to spot and one of my favorite little places of relaxation and escape... right in the heart of our fair city.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I've enjoyed your posts, and really enjoyed seeing your son catching fish after fish after fish. I've said it before and I'll say it again - thanks for getting your son into fishing. I hope your move to TN goes well and Buck soon gets to add some new species to his list! When my dad was still around and living in upper east TN, he would tie into white bass, hybrids (we call 'em wipers), rockfish (striped bass), and gar, along with the usual largemouth, smallmouth, sunfish, and trout. If you get Buck into one of those (or rather, when Buck lands one of those, shoot a picture over to CO!

Tight lines!

#7 ·
Thanks fellas. I certainly will keep you updated on the goings on out there. We will arrive on Monday PM... I should be unloaded and unpacked by Wednesday night at the latest.... I'm scheduled to start work the following Monday, so I SHOULD have a day or two to blind fish some of the waters around the new house in the interim. I know of one place which has some decent cats... It also holds an abundant population of gills and a few bass. If I can get a big cat out of that water next week, I'll post some pix for you fellas.

#19 ·
Not the last, just the last for this year, safe travels and take care of the family, I'll plan on coming out to visit as soon as you get things figured out on something better than pan fish. Think big and let me know if there's anything that's drag screaming worthy out there.

#20 ·
I'll keep you updated, RL. I believe the muskie and flathead should be fairly convenient to learn. Alot of guys fish Melton Hill for muskie, and they are very well protected in TN.

Limit of 1 per day, and that fish must be over 34" to keep.

Most anglers catch and release all muskie there anyway.

The Cumberland River holds monster blue and flathead cats. Also freshwater drum.

On catfish, there is no limit, but you can only keep 1 fish (creel and possession limit) over 34".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.