Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to head up to the fork tomorrow and try and get my first pike. I was just looking for some last minute tips from any one. I think I'll start off the day in the fingers or the flats. Any one have any opinions on which is a better starting spot? I have a pretty good selection of takle. I really want one on the fly rod but I'm bringing it all. I won't be with a boat so I will be sticking to shore. Any help will be apreciated.

Also if the pike fishing isn't very good what else should I try? Are the lakers still shallow? Is the inlet the best spot fotr trout?

Hopefully I'll be posting lots of good pics this time tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hmm. I'm going to approach it like I did stagecoach this weekend, because I am assuming similar water temperatures and conditions (although I may be wrong). Fish near grassy flats, or any early-forming weedbeds you may find. Fish on a wind-blown shore, and focus especially on where any muddy water meets clear water. If this does not work, rocky, windblown points also seemed to work well. I would say not to flyfish, because at stagecoach, I saw several pike anglers using flies catching nothing, and I was killing them on buzzbaits and RAPALA X-RAPS. If you can see pike and they won't hit, or you are having follow ups on your more aggressive lures but not hits, fish a zoom superfluke in the mid depths for them. cast, sink it to the bottom, 2 twitches, 5 second pause, repeat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i was up there on friday. i lost several pike at the boat fishing the inlet. there also tons of trout in that area also. just use a nightcrawler under a bobber, it is not very deep, maybe 10 fow or so. to get the pike to bite i was drifting through the area where the fast water meets the lake, using a dead shiner. make sure to use a good sized hook, that was my problem. good luck

M

·
0 Posts
Check my report from last week - water temp is probably warmer though. There is a cove (Douglas Cove?) on the south side with an inlet through a large pipe near the flats. This is the popular spot for pike. Was crowded when I was there but it should fish better with less pressure.

Good luck!

M

·
0 Posts
At the inlet you are OK from shore - South side near where the tree fell in the water.

At the flats, it's your choice. the channel from the drainage gets to 9 feet deep. The flats extend out quit a bit from shore at about 4 or 5 feet deep. The people I saw fishing the tube, all in waders.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts