Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By the time mid November rolled in, trophy walleye stalking had made me a living trainwreck. The skunks were coming in at an unprecedented rate, which coupled with the fact that I had moved into the laundry room of my old college house for $250 a month largely so that I could be close to prime waters, made me very bitter. I kept making excuses. It's too warm, they haven't fired up yet..... eventually they will eat I told myself. The truth is that my confidence was shattered and I had no reason to believe that I would ever have a big walleye on my line again. When out at the bars with my friends, I couldn't even look at girls... what would they possibly want to do with a failed fisherman such as myself anyways?? Basically, trophy fishing was making my life a nightmare.

Things seemed to start improving with the super moon. I lost a fish, had another bite and witnessed some follows/cruisers in the trophy class range, yet still had nothing to show for. The day after the super moon I was finally able to get my first decent fish.

29.5"er and a little skinny at 8.77 pounds. It was pure relief after I brought her to hand. Obviously this fish had not made up for my previous failures, but it proved that at least these fish do exist. Afterwards I took some much needed time away from fishing and dabbled in some hunting before returning for my last round: 4 consecutive nights at the end of November at one lake in search of a big fish. What happened next will forever redefine to me the possibilities of trophy walleye fishing. My first night out I was able to land two 'eyes over 10 lbs, a feat I accomplished last fall that I was sure I would never experience again. The first one went 30.5" and 10.56 lbs.

An hour later: 29" and 10.20 lbs.

And just like that my prior efforts seemed validated. I almost took the next night off but a buddy convinced me to keep at it. 29.5" and 10.38 lbs.

At this point my confidence was oozing as I headed out the following night, and sure enough it only took five minutes to hook into a PB at 30.75" and 12.21 lbs.

It may be time for a walleye net upgrade.

On my fourth and final night I snagged off the magic lure right away and decided to give the swimbait a final chance. Throughout October and November I had many short strikes on the 8" Hudd but nothing would fully commit. It was kind of fitting that I went back to it at the end and finally caught something after many miserable hours from the past months. Not very big at 27.25" and pretty skinny, but it is always a blast to catch something on the bigger baits.

It was quite the improbable streak of fishing that really only proves one thing: timing is almost everything!! How else can you explain 16 consecutive skunks at one lake followed by 4 fish over 10 lbs in 3 nights? Most people focus on location and presentation, but fish must be active for amazing things to happen. I definitely benefited from having the luxury of being able to fish almost every night until things developed and it was a great way for my vacation to end. I flew up to Seattle last night and the time for me to get back to work has finally come, see ya guys in the spring!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Killer report.awesome fish. and way to put your time in. proves that the only way to ensure you hit the right timing is to be persistant.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Awesome post!!! Got'em pegged!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Sweet! A lot of my success simply comes from outlasting the other guys-

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Well done
Nice fish and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Daaaamn, well done!!! There is a TON to be learned from your post. Feeling wimmins were put off by your failure was such a great touch! lol... :success:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Awesome!!!

Way to stay after it and get some nice fish!!!

Send pics of the women that are into successful fisherman :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
wow great fish!
what are the hooks like on that last lure that got swallowed all the way? looks like something that would be impossible to get out.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I already congratulated you but you really deserved those after all those nights out, Andrew!

Sweet! A lot of my success simply comes from outlasting the other guys-
Yup! Hard work pays off. You can't catch them from the couch. :embarassed:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so much for my measely 4 MAs this fall. Putting us all to shame Andrew GOOD GAWD!
You guys know how it is, all a matter of time on the water. I'm sure you had a better rate of MAs per night than me this fall! If put in my position, lots of anglers would have experienced success. I look forward to seeing you out on the water in March Allan!

Awesome!!!

Way to stay after it and get some nice fish!!!

Send pics of the women that are into successful fisherman :)
Oddly enough, it seems like women actually don't care about a man's fishing success. :D I can't think of how else they would possibly judge a man. Just another reason I will never understand them. :crazy:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Great bunch of fish there, you worked and were rewarded. Appreciate you sharing, motivates me to fish harder than ever

1 - 20 of 35 Posts