Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out today with the boy and hit up some late fall panfish. They were ready, willing, and numerous.

As you can see, we were using ice rods again. The bites are just so easy to detect, it's ridiculous.

The day's take:

All around 8-9 inches, the two smaller ones swallowed the hook but would have been released. We released about double what we kept.

Look at the shoulders on this guy! Healthy!!!

Just a fun couple hours out with the boy. Weather was beautiful and we wanted to take advantage of it.

We were hoping to find some yellow perch in these waters.... maybe next time. ;)

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Those are so sick...a fly rod and a popper would be so much fun in the summer...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Gonna hit that up for sure.

Contemplating buying this property... Been working my ass off for two years on my credit and I'm finally at the stage where the credit offers and lending are opening up. It has been hell.

If I buy the property, I will probably do some electro-fishing and determine what the populations are like.

It's a nice big pond/small lake... The waterfall in the picture is constantly flowing out of this pond... Never dries up. It is fed by two spring-fed streams and the waterfall dumps straight into the East-Fork Obey River just 30 yards from where this pic was taken.

It's deep cool water... Would be perfect for cats and yellow perch I would think. From what I can gather, the gill population is healthy. ;)

Anyway, if we do buy it, I'll be putting a rustic fishing cabin by the lake so any of you Colorado dudes who visit can have a place to stay.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You guys are sure as hell eating good!

Hope it works out for you and you end up owning that little piece of heaven.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys... We're hoping it works out too. :)

Fella that owns the property is a friend of the family... His house unfortunately burned down (fortunately he and his 6 kids were out of town) and they have moved. I don't believe they will rebuild here and he has indicated that he will be selling the property.

I hope he and I can work out an owner-finance deal for one year to allow us to put a new structure up... Then I can finance with a bank. They won't lend to me for JUST property (no structure) unless I take out a straight personal loan, and then the amount won't cover the rebuild, just the price of the land.

If he is willing to come to terms on carrying the note for a year so we can build something, we'll own this place as soon as he says "go".

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Owen what would that piece of land go for if u dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple more pix from today.

1) water coming from the earthen/railroad-tie dam (overgrown with brush now, but won't be if I get the property)

2) A shot of the waterfall without the boy in it

3) MEEEAT

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I had it in cash right now, he'd sign it over and walk away no doubt. Just a matter of getting details right.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He will do what's best for his family... I just hope that includes a deal to his benefit and mine.

We're praying about it and continuing to build the credit. Spring-time, I think we will be in a place to negotiate.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Man thatd be sweet. Are properties selling for the assessed amount down there? We've been looking in Weld County and properties are selling for 10-20k an acre, though the assessment used for tax purposes only comes out to 20k total, for 10 acres, as its zonwd AG.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here prices are fairly accurate. If you get on Landwatch.com you can see what properties are going for... Putnam and Overton County. Putnam listings can be all over the place because property close to the town of Cookeville is pretty high... Outlying areas like where I live sell for 3-5k/acre undeveloped.

The property evaluator told Bob he could sell that property for $18-22k right now, as is. Remeber that this is farm country, and that lake takes up a big chunk of the parcel... People like us think "Hell yea, I'd pay extra for that sh**" where the practical farmers and such say "WTF am I going to do with a lake?"

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Went back today... didn't have time to go to the big lake so we hit the same spot. I tried for bass with a bunch of different lures, retrieves, depths.... Nada.

The boy got it right though... Pounded a few of these under bobber.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts