Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its that time of year when, to me at least, the fishing seems to slow down and the patterns get even smaller. On the stretch I like to fish there are a couple of good winter holes and they fish very differently even though they are only a few hundred yards apart. The first one seems to always have fish rising in numbers this time of the year and a few weeks ago they were pretty easy to catch. A size 18 or 20 thread midge or foam back emerger was really good. Now, they seem to be rising like crazy and I am going down to size 22 and 24 and manage an occasional hook up. The upper pool has very few risers, and they seemed to be hitting a lot better earlier in the winter on the usual winter fare. I still seem to catch a few each time out, but very far and few between. I have tried it all as well. The only way I can get them to hit is by jigging small stuff during the drift. Some days are better than others. At least I'm not getting skunked. Just kind of frustrating when fish are rising all over and you can't get them to take your fly. I've tied some nice midge emergers too. I would eat them! Anyway, just my thoughts. Please discuss if you have some time. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

PH

S

·
0 Posts
Couple things to remember when fishing to picky risers :

If they are porposing ( only the backs out of the water) they are taking emergers. If fishing them in the film try a greased leader - use gel floatant on your tippett.

If they are taking on the surface and their mouths are out of the water - its Duns, Spinners, or cripples.

Never hurts to use a double dry as well, hand an emerger pattern 8-12" behind a dun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the big midge has been out the last couple of days, even saw a blue wing today. Midgezilla has been killing it! Black body white wing and this has been on the Poudre and Big-T

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SL, thanks for the tips. I have used a lot of different set ups. Double dry etc. Maybe I need to go smaller than 6x. Most of my success has been on the swing. Usually with a small biot midge or with a fly that Blackcanyon has described as midgezilla. The fish are porposing and mouths coming straight out of the water. So, I imagine they're taking both. Just seems that it should be easier to catch them. I'm catching, just not that many. Maybe its me that's being picky!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know this doesn't sound very technical, but you might try some off the wall dry fly when matching stuff isn't working. I've been surprised at what fish will hit when the "right" stuff doesn't cut it. Try a stimulator, ehc, bwo , etc.
I like the idea of using a meat whistle...just haven't had a chance to try mine since tying them...soon...very soon.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If the fish have been getting beaten on in the same hole all winter they could be focusing in on stuff other than the flies. Try lengthening your leader, going with a lower profile indicator, attach the sPlit shot further away from your flies, and be stealthier with your approach and line presentation.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TANGLER said:
If the fish have been getting beaten on in the same hole all winter they could be focusing in on stuff other than the flies. Try lengthening your leader, going with a lower profile indicator, attach the sPlit shot further away from your flies, and be stealthier with your approach and line presentation.
That right there may be the tip of the day. These poor bastards get fished to daily and by all sorts of fishermen. Lot's of bait chuckers hit those holes too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Poudre Hound said:
explodedlad said:
I won't lie a 1/0 meat whistle has been fishing solid for me. No joke.
Thanks, I will put that on my list of things to try. Can't hurt!
For sure, this time of year it gonna be a lot slower because of the cold. You may not want to try something that big on the Poudre, but something like a crystal bugger or slumpbuster may fish well for ya. I have been fishing up and and across with a pretty slow retrieve, almost a dead drift. You could probably try to swing it at the end too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know it's winter but the fishing has been HOT!!!!
The rainbow warrior is killin'em. It has been working in any tailwater lately. The BH bubbleback beatis is hot too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts