Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Lathrop State Park - Horsehoe Lake 071605 and 071705

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  roadkill 
#1 ·
I didnt get an early start either day...it was nice sleeping in for a change...had taken my fiance and her daughter with...both new to fishing...hoping to just find some trout to bite for them to boost their confidence...so we we pretty much started with spinning rod operation and dunking worms from a boat...I have seen saugeyes come out of there so I decided to dunk some leeches and cast a big Mepps No 6 Bucktail for Muskies with the other rod...I had talked to a guy that his buddy had gotten a 36 inch Musky early that morning at Horseshoe...it was hot out...thank God the wind swirls their most of the time so an all day breeze was a nice thing...water temp was 75 degrees...well we fished most of the day...the gals had quite a few bites and managed 6 trout between them...I had 7 hits on leeches and caught 4 channel cats between 12 and 16 inches...never caught a channel on a leech before...where were the saugeyes...I have no idea...hit most of the likely looking places and some not so likely looking...saw two heavy swirls late in the day like a trout got murdered sipping bugs by a Musky from below...I cast the big spinner off and on most of the day and nothing...Sunday we got moving late...one dark cloud early that cut our day short as we were forced to run for it with lightning bolts and thunder on a count of 2 seconds...not good...all in all a pretty successful trip for newby fisher ladies...

#2 ·
Re: Lathrop State Park - Horshoe Lake 061605 and 061705

Sounds like fun, them dang muskies!!!! someday I will get that him too. THe lady's have a good time too?

#7 ·
Re: Lathrop State Park - Horshoe Lake 071605 and 071705

Fishhard...Horseshoe has Muskys in it...Martin has Northern Pike...as far as specific spots on Horseshoe for Musky...you got me?...the lake has almost every type of imaginable structure for a small lake...I would look for Wind Blown points...points with access to deep water...the flooded timber areas...anywhere you mark lots of baitfish...late in the day I would fish areas where trout are rising with a large rainbow colored plug...I saw a couple of heavy swirls on Saturday night that way...sorry dont know much about Musky fishing...

Lynmack...good catch I guess I dont want half the summer gone and tried to go back to June...it was last weekend so it should be July...I fixed it...thanks!...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.