Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not fished on on Memorial Day weekends for about 10 years. By that last Monday of May, I have usually fished 1-2 weeks straight and/or have been gone on 3-4 day weekends out east since late April. It’s a good time to catch up with family life and chores that I put off. This year, I decided to take on the monumental task of performing some maintenance on my reels on a lazy Memorial Day weekend. I had never taken apart any of my reels. I would simply throw away a reel when it was no longer smooth enough for my taste. Actually, I am so rough with my gear that most of my reels were broken before they became “not smooth enough” (usually a broken bail).

In my imagination, springs would come flying off, bearings would roll out and miscellaneous parts whose function my simple mind couldn’t even begin to fathom would come off, and I would never be able to put them together again. All those myths were utterly shattered this weekend. Reels, at least the reels I buy are surprisingly simple; I don’t know about those $700 reels you all buy because I don’t have any.

Most of the reels I disassembled were over 5 years old:

The average lifespan of my reels is 2-3 years. These are survivors!

I had actually given up on the Stradic MGFA. It is in better shape than any of the other ones because it stopped being smooth much sooner than most of my reels. That is the only Shimano I have bought that became worthless within a year. It had been sitting for years. Call me cheap and corny but, with all that gold and silver, I think it is one of the prettiest reels I have ever own, and didn’t have the heart to throw it away. :D::) I started my experimentation into reel maintenance with this reel because I had already written it off. I actually made the rookie mistake of taking the anti-reverse mechanism apart and almost couldn’t put that back together. A video on Youtube saved the day.

I was most impressed by the inner workings of the Pflueger Medalist:

The Medalist and the Shimano Saharas are my bait dunking reels and they see a lot of sand. I only use them about 5-10 times a year but they get some serious abuse when I do use them. The Saharas had sand in them. Not so for the Medalist. I think I bought it for $56 on sale way back when. After I took it apart and re-greased it, it was basically as smooth as when I bought it. The saharas got a little better, but not much. The Medalist is the best value by far here.

What I learned:
1. Pfluegers are outstanding values. I woud not buy another Sahara or any Shimano reel for around $100 or less. Pfluegers in that price range are smoother and hold up just as well, if not better.

2. Don’t be afraid of fancy proprietary technology. I thought those terms implied that a genius of the level of da Vinci’s caliber was needed to take those reels apart and put them back together. It is now clear to me that those fancy features marketed by reel manufacturers have little impact on how to service a reel.

3. Reels are overpriced! They are so simple inside. I really don’t see why any of the reels I have should cost more than $50. we are suckers, my friends... :D

Question I have: how do you get rid of the noise? Most of the reels I serviced made noise out of the box. However, the Stradics were relatively silent, as I remember (I have a newer Stradic and it is much more silent than the used ones). Is there some additional maintenance that can/should be done?

My lazy weekend was fairly productive in retrospective. I only went outside for two things:

A visit to see “le pater” (a French/Latin nickname for my father that my half brother and I came up with as teenagers):

Note: I didn't choose the goofy tombstone (I did pay for my share of it)...

And a little hike with the kids:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I need to clean my baitcaster but I am afraid to take it apart for the reasons stated above, done a decent amount of maintenance on spinning reels never a baitcaster

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to clean my baitcaster but I am afraid to take it apart for the reasons stated above, done a decent amount of maintenance on spinning reels never a baitcaster
That's my next endeavor. But my baicasters are not that old yet. I'll wait until the average age is 5 years. :lol:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's my next endeavor. But my baicasters are not that old yet. I'll wait until the average age is 5 years. :lol:
The one I want to clean is only a year and a half, it just seems like it needs cleaned. Or maybe I just need to put oil on it... I'm not very good at keeping up with reel maintenance like that

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I want to clean is only a year and a half, it just seems like it needs cleaned. Or maybe I just need to put oil on it... I'm not very good at keeping up with reel maintenance like that
You probably just need some oil. I have a baitcaster (a Citica) that is about 10 yers old. Never did any maintenance to it (not even oil until last weekend), but I don't use it much. That was my first baitcaster and it is a righty. I only use it a coupe of times a year for ice fishing now. Been thinking about throwing it away but the cheapstake in me can't bring himslef to do it because there is nothing wrong with it...

·
Registered
471 Posts
You trew reels in the trash! Shame on you!
I usualy keep all of my old fishing crap and collect most of the fishing gear that I can find that other people have no use for anymore.
One mans trash is another mans treasure... But most of my stuff I'll never use or I'll keep for spare parts. I just think it's part of the fishing addiction that I have.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You trew reels in the trash! Shame on you!
I usualy keep all of my old fishing crap and collect most of the fishing gear that I can find that other people have no use for anymore.
One mans trash is another mans treasure... But most of my stuff I'll never use or I'll keep for spare parts. I just think it's part of the fishing addiction that I have.
There comes a point where it makes no sense to keep stuff you don't use. Actually, it's downright irrational. Except for "collectors" and cheapskates. :biggrin1: BTW, if anyone wants the Citica, it's free.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You probably just need some oil. I have a baitcaster (a Citica) that is about 10 yers old. Never did any maintenance to it (not even oil until last weekend), but I don't use it much. That was my first baitcaster and it is a righty. I only use it a coupe of times a year for ice fishing now. Been thinking about throwing it away but the cheapstake in me can't bring himslef to do it because there is nothing wrong with it...
I don't throw anything away lol, I even have a box of old fish reels that I took apart and never put back together :D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't throw anything away lol, I even have a box of old fish reels that I took apart and never put back together :D
You are worse than me. My wife is the opposite. When I sold my boat, I had to sell my HDS unit separately. I couldn't find one of the connecting wires where I thought I had left it. I asked her if she had by chance thrown it away because she had just cleaned the garage. She said "no." I looked some more and told her that I would have to buy one online for $40 or reduce the price because I told the buyer I had the cord. She looks in the trash and sure enough, it was there... :D

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Reels aren't too bad. I have taken apart my Curado 201e and my ABU Garcia STX. I just take my time when taking them apart. Line out the pieces on my gun cleaning pad, in order.

Sounds like a good "lazy", yet productive weekend, Linh.

Nice write up.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Reels aren't too bad. I have taken apart my Curado 201e and my ABU Garcia STX. I just take my time when taking them apart. Line out the pieces on my gun cleaning pad, in order.

Sounds like a good "lazy", yet productive weekend, Linh.

Nice write up.
Yeah, Imma have to service my baitcasters one day. BTW, the tombstone pic is for you. To prove that Tongpao, The Dark, really exists (well, "existed"). :biggrin1:

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Very cool post AO... I am slightly jealous of anything that can be done lazily right now! When the madness ends, I sure hope we end up in a boat somewhere chasing teef!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend. I make it a habit of always fishing Memorial Day..Everyone is either wet, cold and tired by Monday morning or sunburned..depending upon weather conditions..more often wet and cold than sunburned and they're heading home early.

This year fished Sunday and there was hardly anyone there at Pueblo..I think the weather we'd been having kept them away..made for a great day.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend. I make it a habit of always fishing Memorial Day..Everyone is either wet, cold and tired by Monday morning or sunburned..depending upon weather conditions..more often wet and cold than sunburned and they're heading home early.
Yeah, but I'd be heading back home Monday for work on Tuesday anyway. Meanwhile, I'd be crowded with more people than usual while being "either wet, cold and tired [...] or sunburned," like the rest of the poor bastages out there. :biggrin1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts