Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a real and get set up with some lead core line. What do you like or dislike about lead core line and real setups. At this time I think I will be looking at 18lb line and maybe anther Diawa Sealine 27 real. I am also thinking of x feet of backing and going up to 10 colors of line.

What do you like?

JT

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i be waiting for some answers also this is something id like to rig a rod or 2 for just to be prepared

D

·
0 Posts
First of all, I buy trolling rods/reels in sets of 2.  That way when trolling and you figure out the bite, you can put two exact rods/reels/lines/lures in the water and double up.  Buying the exact same set up allows you to reproduce (down to the extreme detail) what works.  

I have two Shimano TR 200-G's on Diawa Heartland Walleye Trolling rods.  The reels only hold about 8 colors of 18lb leadcore but I bought them sight un-seen and will use them until I get a better deal elsewhere.  I have about 20 yards of 20 lb test mono backing just to prevent the mono from slipping and I use a 10-15 foot leader of 10lb mono (join the lead and leader with a double uni knot).  

One of the most important things is a clicker and drag that works well.  Lead has no stretch and the 15ft of leader does not stretch much so a good drag is important to keep the fish from throwing the hook.  Another thing is a soft tip rod and when a fish is hooked, keep the rod tip high and let the rod take the surges.

D

·
0 Posts
One other tip. If you are half hearted about buying a new rod and reel for lead, you can segment lead onto your current trolling set-ups and achieve the same thing. The only purchase you have to make is a spool of leadcore.

Take 3-4 colors of lead. (This is difficult to explain over the net) Take about 3/4 of an inch of one end and loop/lay it over the main portion of the lead line. Take waxed dental floss and wrap (tightly) the loose end to the main portion. In effect you are creating what looks like a hangmans noose that will not slide. Tie the dental floss off securely and trim all ends. Do that on the other end of the 3-4 colors and when you feel the need for leadcore line, tie your trolling line to the loop you have created. On the other end tie a 10-15 foot leader and you are set. These setups are easier to use with boards too as a full set of lead line will not allow your boards to get too far out to the side as the lead will drag the water.

The loops you tie on each end of the lead can be replaced with two small swivels but those do not go through the rod guides and into the reel as easy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DK/Ken,

Thanks, that is some of the information I was looking for. Do you have any manufacture of line that you like over another?

Would a number 8 barrel swivel or smaller work if I went with the segmneted line to real onto the reel? Dont want to bust up my rod or reel.

JT

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
campingkids said:
DK/Ken,

Thanks, that is some of the information I was looking for. Do you have any manufacture of line that you like over another?

Would a number 8 barrel swivel or smaller work if I went with the segmneted line to real onto the reel? Dont want to bust up my rod or reel.

JT
go with the loops ! if you use a small enough swivel it wont be that strong and after it goes thru the guides a few times under load it will only get weaker you wouldnt want to lose a nice fish just to avoid the loops

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you could also use a needle knot after removing some of the lead core a needle knot is basicaly a nail knot but the line goes up thru the core a bit use a needle to insert it

D

·
0 Posts
The above suggestions will work but if you are going with the segmented option I like to switch back and forth (depending on what is working) from lead to trolling and with the loops, you can wind the 3-4 colors of lead onto a can and cut the trolling reel line from the leadcore loop and be cranking in less than a few minutes. If you are seeing archs at the 15-20 foot depth and your cranks are not running that deep, you can unwind the lead, retie at the loop and be leadin' it in minutes instead of having to buy another set-up.

D

·
0 Posts
JT,
Another thought.  When fishing tourneys I typically have two leadcore set-ups and four trolling set ups.  If the trolled cranks are the thing, I am set up.  If the lead is what the fish are hitting on then in just a few minutes I can have four leadcores out (two traditional style and two segmented).  You can do the same thing with just four trolling rods.  Just buy two spools of lead and in minutes you can convert your trolling setups to lead...worked for Jeff and I at Big Mac for numbers of fish.

About your question on lead makers, I go cheap (Walmart) and change it out every 2-3 years....I have no preference on leadcore line.
Dave

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yea id go with the loops very versital

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I like the Penn 320 series reels for leadcore:

These reels are heavy-duty and have room for lots of line. I use the 18lb variety as well. I personally wouldn't want 10 colors of leadcore on a reel (have you ever tried to reel all that up, not to mention the increased chances of losing the fish because it takes so darn long?) -- I would use downriggers instead for anything deeper than 30' or so. Just my $.02

Good luck,

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i can vouch for that series of reels i abused the heck out of them fishing tuna and yellowtail down SD way they got good drags and a good level wind system

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Are you guys using any backing? I had a 9lb Brown take 8 colors plus 75 yards of backing on one run at Pathfinder. I have also had lots of smaller bows take me into the backing. The only reason I landed the brown was because my buddy turned the boat and gunned the engine so I could get some line back!

I guess with walleye's that wouldn't be as much of a problem? What happens if a big Wiper shows up? Dave, you probably remember what happened to my leadcore setup at Glendo when that big carp hit, LOL?

D

·
0 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Are you guys ? I had ausing any backing 9lb Brown take 8 colors plus 75 yards of backing on one run at Pathfinder. I have also had lots of smaller bows take me into the backing. The only reason I landed the brown was because my buddy turned the boat and gunned the engine so I could get some line back!

I guess with walleye's that wouldn't be as much of a problem? What happens if a big Wiper shows up? Dave, you probably remember what happened to my leadcore setup at Glendo when that big carp hit, LOL?

Wow Neal, those Pathfinder trout must be on some hyped steriods - taking 465 feet of line? In one run. I really need to get up there.

I've caught up to 14 lb stripers, up to 13 lb wipers and up to 9 lb catfish on those rods/reels and have never had them take more than 1/2 a color and that was while still trolling forward. I

Neal - I think you had equipment malfunctions at Glendo. If I remember right, your drag gear teeth were filed down to nubs by someone that used it earlier.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Don't really care if you believe me or not Dave! I am sure Don Wood and Bill Campbell believe me, since they were in the boat with me!

Isn't half a color only 15 feet? If I remember correctly I had several colors out already when the fish hit?

Actually I was wrong also it was 75 feet, not yards (just read my previos post). The man who originally showed me how to use leadcore set up my reel the same way he had his set for fishing Flaming Gorge.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who responded to this question. Now I need to print it out and start a lead core folder. I think I might need to get a new filling cabinet.

Thanks
JT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts