Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this stuff. I have always used bottom bouncers or lindy rigs to get my stuff down there. I'm considering setting up a rod with some lead core line however. Is it just a section that you tie into like fly line with backing or is it the entire spool full of the stuff?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have level wind trolling reels, the whole reel is filled with the lead core, it works good for me, you can tell by the number of colors how much line you have out, and get acurate on how deep your fishing. The line does cost but will last multiple years. If you can I would put in on reels and leave it on, larger spinning reels will work too, but level wind are better. I use this for suspended fish and fish close to the bottom, I don't think this will be better for walleyes hugging the bottom though, I would stay with the Lindy rig. Have caught suspended walleyes trolling crank baits, like HotN tots, etc..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Born2Fish. I will throw some on one of my baitcasters. You must have to run a section of mono or floro thats tied to the bait right? How do you join the two sections? Is the stuff very "knot-friendly"?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I use lead core for trolling for trout. It will get your lure down there with them. I think it sais eighty yards will get it down to thirty feet or so. Pretty easy to tie on a leader. I use 20lb 2ft leader. Mainly troll with kastmasters with it and such.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Fishdawg said:
Thanks Born2Fish. I will throw some on one of my baitcasters. You must have to run a section of mono or floro thats tied to the bait right? How do you join the two sections? Is the stuff very "knot-friendly"?
For me, it works best to remove the lead from a section at the very end of the leadcore line and then tie the leader onto that section using a blood knot like this:

I like to use about 50 yds of backing on the reel. Also, due to the thick line, you will want to use a larger levelwind reel to hold this stuff such as the Penn 320 GT series:

They are tough reels and can hold a decent amount of leadcore. I find that for depths over about 30' or so, you are better off using downriggers as the weight and length of the leadcore line can lessen your chances of bringing in a fish (it's darn hard on your arm, too ;)). I forget how many colors I was able to get on the 320 reel, but it seemed adequate and I did not find that I needed more. Also, there was another good thread about this a while back: http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=3572.0

Finally, if you search carefully at Carter Reservoir, you will find a complete setup rigged like this at the bottom of the lake somewhere :'(

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I love using lead core. I attach the leader by tie a normal overhand knot in the lead core than using a clinch/cinch knot and pulling it down onto the know.

As far as how many colors to use there is a method where you use 3 colors on the reel instead of the entire spool. (its called something but I cant remember).

I think the rule of thumb is every color will get you down 5ft. Speed and lure weight will effect this though.
Code:
Lead Core Out
15'	3 colors
20'	4 colors
25'	5 colors
30'	6 colors
35'	7 colors
40'	8 colors
45'	9 colors
50'	10 colors
55'-65'	10 colors plus 5 passes on the spool
65'-75'	10 colors plus 8 oz. drop ball
80'	10 colors plus 8 oz. drop ball plus 5 passes
I hardly ever find my self letting out more than 3 colors as most of the lakes here are pretty small and letting out 200ft of lead isn't piratical(for me)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
As far as how many colors to use there is a method where you use 3 colors on the reel instead of the entire spool. (its called something but I cant remember).
Segmented lead core.

Lead line depth is determined by speed and amount of line out. Faster=shallow, slower=deeper. Speed changes will SLOWLY change the depth. My experience is 10' depth for every 100' out behind the boat at 1.8 mph. You will need to do some experimenting on your own to find how deep your line runs at various trolling speeds, the charts are guidlines and a good place to start. I prefer the 12 lb test as it has a smaller diameter causing less drag hence more depth.

I simply tie a barrel swivel between the lead and mono/flouro. I prefer a 10' to 12' leader.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I wish I had been out fishing today, but I had sprinkler repair duty instead. I have not one, not two, but FOUR leaks in my sprinkler system this year. My son and I had fun digging in the mud, but we only got two of the leaks repaired because of those darn tree roots being in the way.

What does this have to do with this thread you may ask? ;D

After we had spent all day in the mud, we decided to run to reward ourselves at Sportsman's to replace my leadcore rig. I also gave my son some money for helping out and he bought powerbait and a couple of lures, too. My son and I like to name our rod & reel combos, so "Deep Diver II" was born. He is a Penn 321 with a heavy Shakespeare rod. I had them spool the reel and the guy was able to get 10 colors onto it (no backing this time, though). So, anyway, I thought I'd let you know in this very roundabout way how much leadcore I was able to get onto those Penn reels... :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts