Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start pouring my own jigheads and tube heads and would appreciate a little help concerning which lead furnace to get.

I'm planning on pouring my own jigheads for lakers (1, 1.5, and 2 oz.) along with the standard 1/8 to 3/8 oz. tube jigheads and round jigheads.

Will something like the bottom pour type Lee Production Pot IV work for the bigger jigs or should I be looking at a ladle pour system? I need to stay under $75 or so. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
these guys seem to think the ppIV is only good for up to 1/2 ounce jigs and 1 ounce sinkers

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/molds/electric_lead_melters.htm

LEE PRODUCTION POT IV This electric furnace is an affordable bottom pouring unit. It has a 10lb (4.5 Kg) lead capacity. This model features four inches of clearance under the spout. It is a very good unit for making jigs weighing less than ½ oz (16g) and can be used to mold sinkers up to one ounce. It features are 500 watts, 110 volt AC, adjustable heat control, and guaranteed by the Manufacturer for two years.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If this model will hold 10 lb. of lead (and presumably, melt it) why would it only pour a 1 oz. sinker? If it has 10 lb. of melted lead in it, it ought to pour a 10 lb. sinker, wouldn't you think?

Not that I have ever tried to cast a 10 lb. sinker, I would not want that baby hitting me in the back of the head.....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
If this model will hold 10 lb. of lead (and presumably, melt it) why would it only pour a 1 oz. sinker? If it has 10 lb. of melted lead in it, it ought to pour a 10 lb. sinker, wouldn't you think?

Not that I have ever tried to cast a 10 lb. sinker, I would not want that baby hitting me in the back of the head.....
LOL I had the same thoughts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have used the Lee 10lb pot for years and it is great.  Most of the jigs I pour are 1/16 to 1/4
oz.  I do use it for my bottom bouncer mold.  When pouring the 2 and 3 ounce sizes,  it goes
through a lot of lead in a hurry.  Takes awhile for the added lead to heat up. That probably
is the reason they are saying it is best for smaller jigs.  

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Cannon Fodder for jet skiers?!...not to hit mind you...just a warning shot off their bow...saying serious fishing done here!...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Dude!

They sell 10# sinkers..........I think they are commonly referred to as "Anchors"...................... O0

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
we used to use 5 pounders all the time for deep water rockcoding

·
Registered
297 Posts
zman said:
Cannon Fodder for jet skiers?!...not to hit mind you...just a warning shot off their bow...saying serious fishing done here!...
Zman I like the way you think. >:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Keep an eye on EBAY for molds and lead furnaces, etc. Usually you can pick one up on there for cheap. I also happen to know that you can pick up a pair of Pro line wading boots cheap too. I have a pair posted under the handle "westernwine" for less than 10 bucks!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clint walker said:
just a thought here, why not hit the local tire shops and get the old lead weights they take off of the rims when they balance tires?  should work right?  it's free too!  ;)
Thanks Clint. The wheel weights have more tin in them and pour heads that are harder than I want. The lead ends up clogging the spout. I really like the pure lead and for about $2 a pound, it's worth it to me. I just pour for my own use, so the cost of the lead is not a big factor. Twenty pounds of lead lasts me a looong time.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don, I noticed this was an old thread brought back to life. What did you end up with? How do you like it?

I've got the standard hot pot and pour up to 5 ounce beach sinkers as well as assorted sizes (up to 3/8 oz) jig heads. The biggest problem I have is recycle time - the molds get hot and I have to wait longer before I can open them up. When they aren't hot, I don't get a completely formed head (the barb for holding the plastic on doesn't mold) so I have to warm them before pouring. It's a delicate balance sometimes.

Have you found molds that do multiple 1oz heads? I've been looking for a long time and haven't found one.

Oh yeah - another source for lead is car batteries (washed out without the sulfuric acid) if you can get any. Be careful about what you order from eBay - I have a 15lb ball (have no idea what it's from) sitting in my garage and I've been thinking about how to cut it up. I thought they were selling pieces and parts :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ed-

I ended up with a Lee Pro 4-20 pot. It holds 20# of lead and melts it fast. I usually keep 8-10# of lead in it. It heats the lead to 1000 F and I don't need to pre-heat the molds at all.

I never did find a commercial mold that would make multiple 1 oz heads, but it pours so fast that I can pour several dozen heads in no time, even making the 1 oz heads one at a time.

I've had good luck with the lead I've bought from eBay, but I only bid on the 1 lb ingots. It's getting harder to find any bargains there, even on lead.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Maybe I should look into a new pot for Christmas. ;)

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
My dad just uses an small old cast iron skillet and a camping stove. Works great and he's been doing it for over 30 years (since before I can remember).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
clint walker said:
Don, do you have a link to that stuff by chance?
Clint-

Sportsmans Warehouse and Bass Pro both carry the 10 & 20 lb. Lee lead melting pots.  Either will do fine.  http://tinyurl.com/3adobk

Do-It Corp. makes lots of molds.  Sportsmans and Bass Pro carry a few, but the best selection is online.  Several places carry the full line of Do-It molds (or close to it) including http://www.staminainc.com/  and http://www.barlowstackle.com/ and http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/. The lead strip decoy weights that SW sells are good clean soft lead, too, for about $1.95 a lb or something like that. They seem to be purer lead than the ingots from Bass Pro in my experience.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your dentist or physician ask them for the lead from the x-rays. I used to save the lead for my dad to make his snagging hooks when I worked for surgeons years ago.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have fun if you take up the hobby. You can pour what you want with good quality hooks, much better quality than you can buy commercially..

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If you know how to extract it, old car batteries are a great source of lead. My old man used to do it all the time--but then again he used to be a chemist.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Adding to Fazer's recommendation, when I was a kid, my Dad ended up getting a ton (almost literally) of lead from a construction crew. I don't know if it's still done, but the walls in radiology rooms in medical buildings used to be lined with lead. The crew he ran across was tearing down a couple of walls so he ended up with some of the surplus. Was as soft as the duck weights.

With University Hospital, Children's Hospital and the like moving to Aurora, I'm willing to bet there are tons of lead that will be coming available if anyone knows the folks doing the demolition or remodeling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts