Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Cabelas has some decent trolling combo's set up for lead core.
I have the short one piece rod with a Penn 209 line counter and the two piece rod rod with the discontinued Penn 210.
The short rod plays out the line real easy. Lead core tends to hang up in the guides if your going real slow with little lures. You end up hand stripping the line out.
The only fault of the 209 is it has a slow ratio. The Penn 210 is a high speed ball bearing reel without a line counter.
Many get by without a line counter. I like them.
A Penn 210 with a line counter would be about perfect if they made it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Earplug is correct! I use the Penn 209 also, with 18lb test lead core and a 50 ft 6 or 8 lb test leader typically for trout and walleye. When I troll 4 lines I put the two short rods 5ft ers out of the back of the boat and the two longer out the sides 6 1/2 or 7 ft. Makes sense right? As long as your trolling similar lures and making semi wide turns you shouldn't have any tangling issues because lead core follows your trolling contour. I typically only use the line counters when trolling crank baits with or without planer boards. Hope this helps! Shannon

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like 8' 6" or 9' foot Cabelas Depthmaster rods. Remember that lead core has no stretch -- so your rod will have to soak up shock from the fish pulling and this is easier with a long rod. Also lead core does not seem to behave well with the reel drag -- unlike mono or braid.
Make sure your reel has a lot of capacity -- lead core is bulky.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
don't get hooked on leadcore for walleye fishing. it has it's place there but it is very limited. as a walleye fisherman i have 2 leadcore rigs and i use them when conditions are right, which is seldom. some lakes you may never have the right conditions. about 95% of the days i spend on the water i will be using mono or braid. i use a snap weight much more than leadcore

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Cherry Creek early is one of them right conditions...

·
Registered
838 Posts
I much prefer lead over snap weights. I find that I can do much more with lead, in terms of lure presentation. The fact that it will follow contours makes it much more versatile.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
somewhat but not entirly. there is so much to catching eyes consistently, there are many methods you need to learn. downriggers and leadcore are a small percentage of the way to catch eyes. the way we fish for eyes mostly is lindy rigging and bottom bouncing. trolling works best for us early in the season and later when the fish suspend. we also do long lining at night as well as casting. i feel that the most important thing for walleye fishing is a top of the line sonar. if you just drag a lure around a lake you will catch one once in a while but most of the time you are not fishing where the fish are, you need to find them first. then you need to figure out how to get your bait to them. all of these methods will work as well as many not mentioned, such as verticle jigging, slip bobbering, planer boards, and more.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I concur that snap weights are a much better way to go. I like snap weights for 35ft or less & downrigging for deeper than that. Stay away from Bass Pro though for snap weights. They're charging something like 40 bucks- now called "Pro Weight System". When they were using lead instead (ha) they were much cheaper. Maybe you can find some online somewhere or at Sportsmans for about $25.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts