Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fishing with floating strike indicators (Thingamabobbers, etc.) how much leader do you guys usually run above the indicator? Assume the fish aren't overly spooky.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3x's the depth especially on tailwater where the fish are educated.
Thanks. That's def longer than what I've been using... You could end up with a pretty long leader using that formula; 4' depth = about 18' leader. Almost as long as my euro leaders :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
actually its only 1.5 to 2 times depth of water. I never fish a knotless tappered leader longer than 9'6". Thats not to say I won't add some length for specific water. But as a general rule 1.5-2 x

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
IMO, there are a LOT of variables to this question. To simply say 3x or 2x the depth is a good rule of thumb, but sometimes that is not possible. When sight fishing, I prefer an in line indicator or no indicator at all. In line indicator being something that won't loop on to my line (thingamabobber is not an in line indicator). The little footballs work great for sight fishing.. tiny as can be. In these cases, I am usually using 5-6' of leader and the indicator will not be used as flotation for the flies.

In deep slow water, I want the flies low, so I use about 1-1.5x the depth I want to achieve. In fast water, it may take more, or less if the fish are high in the column.

Fly choice is also a factor... the length of leader I will use with a san juan worm (unweighted) and some added weight is actually different than the length that I would use with a heavily weighted pig sticker (worm pattern with lead underneath).

My point is this... there are standards that work great when you are starting, but paying attention to the subtle things that change the standard thinking is what will make you good. Depth is the single most important thing in nymph fishing and knowing how to adjust the depth of your rig will be your best tool at catching more fish... the fly pattern is about 1/10th as important as where it is presented.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think most people are reading your question right.
Good point :) but still interesting answers (thanks again guys).

To clarify; forget about how much leader I run below my floating indicator (that depends on my target depth), I'm just asking how much folks typically run from the indicator up to the fly line.

The reason I asked is because I read an article (tho I can't seem to find it now) and the author was stating a very short leader between indicator and fly line can give you better drifts.

While I believe this, it doesn't help if the fish are feeding in the upper column and spooked when they see your line overhead. When they are feeding deeper I suspect line over them less of an issue (due to depth).

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good catch, Tarsa! above the leader also depends on circumstance. I mean, you can't use a 12' leader and have the indicator close to the fly line! I want enough leader to be able to mend some of the leader itself, without moving the indicator. Having too little line between the fly line and indicator will make mending tougher, especially with a tapered leader because the butt section is so stiff. If drift is super important, maybe skip the indicator all together.

·
Registered
427 Posts
IMO, there are a LOT of variables to this question. To simply say 3x or 2x the depth is a good rule of thumb, but sometimes that is not possible. When sight fishing, I prefer an in line indicator or no indicator at all. In line indicator being something that won't loop on to my line (thingamabobber is not an in line indicator). The little footballs work great for sight fishing.. tiny as can be. In these cases, I am usually using 5-6' of leader and the indicator will not be used as flotation for the flies.

In deep slow water, I want the flies low, so I use about 1-1.5x the depth I want to achieve. In fast water, it may take more, or less if the fish are high in the column.

Fly choice is also a factor... the length of leader I will use with a san juan worm (unweighted) and some added weight is actually different than the length that I would use with a heavily weighted pig sticker (worm pattern with lead underneath).

My point is this... there are standards that work great when you are starting, but paying attention to the subtle things that change the standard thinking is what will make you good. Depth is the single most important thing in nymph fishing and knowing how to adjust the depth of your rig will be your best tool at catching more fish... the fly pattern is about 1/10th as important as where it is presented.
Lots of intel right there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts