Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you folks run leaders? I picked up some braided line and was thinking of running a flouro leader on it. I did a search and didn't get a whole lot of information on who does and who uses what.

Some questions:
How long of leader do you run?

Does the knot that attaches the line and leader run smoothly through the guides?

Thanks!
JOE

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
You wouldnt wanta run much more than about 4 ft of leader anyway,so no guide probs.If I use a leader,I tie them together by tying a splice with a fly fishing knot tyer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I tie them together by tying a splice with a fly fishing knot tyer."

Thanks for the response! What is this miracle device? Could you elaborate?

Caveat: I've never fly fished and am clueless about most things relating to fly fishing.

Thanks!
JOE

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Any fly shop will have several knot tyers for sale.The one I use (cant remember the name!) is stainless steel,about 4.5 inches long.It costs like 5 bucks.I think its called a"no-fail"?Ties a splice that looks professional,and does not slip!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i use the micro braid/flourocarbon combo 2 different ways

first is like you mentioned with just a short leader. i start by filling my spool with 8# briad most of these are around 2# dia. so it still casts a mile then i use a spider hitch ( http://www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com/Spider.html ) to form a double line/loop ( the spider hitch has been more reliable with the micro braids than the bimini) i then make up 2-3 foot long leader of berkely Vanish (flourocarbon) ranging fron 2# up to 10 # with a loop on 1 end then i can switch between leader size with the simple loop to loop when the leader gets down under 18 inches i replace it this works great for me alowing me to have a 2# leader for small lures/baits wary trout on small streams and high lakes and easily switch to some heavyer stuff for fishing around weeds and other snags the microbraid realy cut thru the weeds and gives a much better feel of what is going on. you have to be careful of your drag settings and how you "set the hook" cause with out the strech of the mono they can be much less forgiving

the other way i use the combo is is to fill most of the spool with the microbraid then put a 50 yard or so topshot of the flouro to finish it up. this alows me to have the flouro as the woking line the braid stays on the pool while casting so you have plenty of strech and the forgiveness of the mono yet when you hook a toad and it heads for the other side of the lake the smaller diameter of the backing has less resistance in the water and you have increased your line capacity or you could use a smaller reel and have the same line capacity also when your topshot starts to get short and it is time to replace it you dont have to fill the whole spool with the expensive flouro you just lose a few inches of the braid when you tie on the next topshot i am still looking for the best method of splicing the topshot on got a post up about it right know and have gotten some good info im going to give a try

also when you spool up with the braid i like to put a few wraps of plastic tape on the spool before tieing on the braid so it doenst slip on the arbor a while back i had a reel that i thought the drag was busted cause it seamed lose the line would just pull off easy even thought the drag knob was cranked but it turned out to be the whole batch of braid was slipping on the spool

hope this helped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts