Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who purchase leeches, be advised that the Valley Store (Parker and Quincy) is not averse to selling stock that is- literally- past its expiration date. I went in yesterday and bought a dozen leeches and found them to all be dead when I started to use them. Fortunately, one of the reasons that I bought them was that I had about 1/2 dozen left over from a previous trip but that receipt had expired. I got to the lake and used up the week+ old ones (still lively) while catching several short 'eyes. Upon depleting those, I went to use the "fresh" ones and found them to be dead. That ended the walleye success for the day. This is not the first time that I've found dead leeches for sale at that shop. Admittedly, this was my fault as I was in a hurry and failed to perform due diligence for vital signs when I bought them. During a previous visit there, when I inquired if the leeches in the cooler were alive, the nice lady quickly found some fresh ones in the back as replacements. She is a very pleasant person but does not seem averse to allowing her customers to share in the inventory pitfalls of her business and leave with a less than satisfactory product. Again, this was on me for not paying attention and is posted to help others become aware of the need to be vigilant. On a brighter note, this situation resulted in a change of tactics and I ended up catching a few nice trout (2+lb footballs) on dry flies during the evening. Lemons/lemonade... :thumb:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Fortunately, one of the reasons that I bought them was that I had about 1/2 dozen left over from a previous trip but that receipt had expired.
It was just an expensive piece of paper (receipt) then. It's a win-win! You got a license to use old bait and the store got rid of some past due bait. Gotta focus on the positive things. :biggrin1: I am surprised no one has started a fake receipt business yet. :biggrin1: Maybe not lucrative enough?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm not too worried about the $5 and it did lead to a productive discovery about that fishery. As mentioned, the lady is very nice but, had I been completely relying on those leeches for the day's fishing, it would have been frustrating. Just a heads up to help others avoid a headache.

Now stop taunting me. :-*

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yea, I'm not too worried about the $5 and it did lead to a productive discovery about that fishery. As mentioned, the lady is very nice but, had I been completely relying on those leeches for the day's fishing, it would have been frustrating. Just a heads up to help others avoid a headache.

Now stop taunting me. :-*

:D

Fyi - per the regs: a receipt is not required but without receipt the ANS must swap out the water.
Good to know. Now I won't have to buy another dozen to save the old half dozen. :p

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Ya mean the ANS inspector isn't counting the leeches:eek:
Not sure about leeches. For minnows: the only people I have ever seen counting minnows are the rare zealous employees or cost conscious (some might say “greedy”) store owners. Park employees: never. And what if someone has more minnows than shown on the receipt? I think that, most of the time, I get more minnows than shown on my receipt. I avoid the stores that count minnows because I probably do end up with just about the right number of minnows. :biggrin1:

Anyhoo, I’m not encouraging any illegal activities, OK… :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the current and ever-increasing rate of governmental intervention in our lives, I will not be surprised if leech and minnow wranglers are not soon required to brand little bar codes on the bait.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At the current and ever-increasing rate of governmental intervention in our lives, I will not be surprised if leech and minnow wranglers are not soon required to brand little bar codes on the bait.
Branding, that is old tech. They'd use RFID chips:rolleyes:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update-
Since I needed more leeches for yesterday's walleye quest, I returned to the store and inquired about replacement for the deceased dozen from Tuesday. The guy working there could not have been nicer or more apologetic and not only replaced the previous dozen but added another 12 for my trouble. Fair is fair and I felt that a followup post was warranted.
Unfortunately, I think that the walleyes were heeding the tornado warnings and were concentrating on seeking shelter rather than chowing down. Lots of sparks flying late in the afternoon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts