Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I a pu$$y since im alittle affraid of fishing with leeches for the first time? How do you hook them? Ill be fishing them at Chat on wednesday. Do they have them At the Aurora Gander yet???

-Jay

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Jay,

it is a conditioned response to be afraid of leeches as any male who has seen Stand By Me can attest.  The type of leech sold for bait are somewhat different than the kind you find on your legs after wading.  They really don't latch on like them.  (at least thats what I read)

When you hook them one of the best ways is right through the sucker, they will have great movement and not come off easily.  I have even put a stinger hook on if I have seen a lot of short strikes.  Less action when they are hooked that way, but more fish hooked.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan said:
afraid of leeches as any male who has seen Stand By Me can attest.  
Dude, I am honestly laughing my arse off right now cause thats all I know about them is what I saw it that classic movie!!! I cant believe you pulled the Stand By Me card :) :)

Thanks for the info Ken and Dan.

-Jay

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Dan said:
afraid of leeches as any male who has seen Stand By Me can attest.  
Dude, I am honestly laughing my arse off right now cause thats all I know about them is what I saw it that classic movie!!! I cant believe you pulled the Stand By Me card :) :)

Thanks for the info Ken and Dan.

-Jay
Ditto. I have had absolutely no desire to fish with them because of that movie.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You could always do what my buddy does. He also wants nothing to do with them, so he uses his needle nose pliers to grab them while he's hooking them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh i have all you beat the guy I fish with uses a yellow rubber kitchen glove to hook leeches. He's like the micheal Jackson of walleye fishing. Hide your kids..........

Fish

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
Oh i have all you beat the guy I fish with uses a yellow rubber kitchen glove to hook leeches. He's like the micheal Jackson of walleye fishing. Hide your kids..........

Fish
That would be funny to see on the lake, umm why is that guy using a big yellow glove, what did he catch?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Am I a pu$$y since im alittle affraid of fishing with leeches for the first time? How do you hook them? Ill be fishing them at Chat on wednesday. Do they have them At the Aurora Gander yet???

-Jay
Hehe... Stand By Me scarred me too. If you're a pu$$y for that then I am too.. I'm probably a bigger one because I wont touch meal worms, wax worms and maggots either.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Hey Jay...too many misconceptions...

They are just wet rubbery...from being in water...they arent the kind of leeches that latch on and suck your blood...they are actually saprovores that mainly feed on decaying vegetable matter...the sucker end is actually the tail end I believe...they use it to anchor on rocks to root around in the cracks for food...so the head is the other end...when you hook them through the sucker they swim head first like an undulating black ribbon...Jay here is the simple method for hooking them

When grabbed they will kind of curl up with the sucker facing inward...which you use to your advantage...kind of an almost closed "U" shape...

Put him in your non dominent hand...push him up with your thumb so the opening in the "U" goes around your index finger towards the tip of the index finger...with the sucker towards the top of your finger as your hand is held parallel to the ground...the leech will kind of wrap around your finger with the sucker against your finger at the top...you have your target now...

Take the hook in your dominent hand and slide the barb between your skin and the sucker...aim so you get about an eight of an inch of his back when coming out the other side instead of just through the edge of the sucker...they stay on better...use a light wire hook so they swim like normal...walleyes inhale them as do bass...wipers chomp and grind them...I have never gut hooked a wiper with one...

Also they are just wet and not really slimey compared to minnows...

If you want something I hate...worm guts...I hate worms pooping all over you when hooking them...and the black bedding gets in your hands...ugh...give me leeches anyday...

I hope all of that made sense...

·
Registered
171 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Jay_In_Parker said:

-Jay
I wont touch wax worms
Ugh, I hate those things. When they get their goop on you, it reeks. I can't stand the smell of wax worm guts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i use leeches alot and what i do is batter them with sand. its like a temperary parolization. they usually stop moving and they wont curl up into a ball. i started using them last and the fear of them latching on is only jus now fading away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LMAO!!! at you guys...  I'm just cracking up! I'm gonna take away your man licenses!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I bought leeches for the first time last week... I was a little worried how I'd react (as a girl!), but I found them to be very fascinating... They're velvety. When you hold them in your hand they'll attach their sucker to your skin... It's like wet, velvet kisses...  I put them in my minnow bucket to give them more water and room... They're very sinuous in the water.  ;)

And, believe me! if they catch walleye... I'll overcome anything to catch a walleye!

Worm guts are yucky, but I just rake my hands through the sand if I'm fishing off the bank. I also bring baby wipes into the boat to clean my hands, as well as antibacterial gel.

And here I was afraid to show fear of anything in case the guys thought I was being a scaredy-cat girl... Ha!

On the other hand...

I was at Kingfisher Cove at Chatfield last Friday evening. One guy down the bank was catching bass left and right. When it got dark, I could hardly see to throw my lure (3/4 moon). Anyway, about 2 feet in front of me something surfaced and splashed in the water. I jumped six feet and damn near wet my pants! At first I thought maybe it was a carp, but the guy down the bank said it was the bass coming up to the shallows. Damned things scared the sh*t outa me!

So, would someone fish with me at night in case the monster from the black lagoon comes creeping up out of the dark water? shivvvvveeeerrrrrrrr!

And I was really looking forward to night fishing for catfish... but not by myself!
  :(

Kari

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
pescado loco said:
Anybody ever try fishing with maggots? Nope, not me, although I bet the fish would go for them!
Maggots are great, especially for bluegill and perch.  I also feed them to the fish in my backyard pound.  Its pretty easy to raise them if you want but its kinda gross too.

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I've heard of the good ole boys in the north ice fishing with them and keeping them warm and unfrozen by keeping them between their cheek and gum!...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
I've heard of the good ole boys in the north ice fishing with them and keeping them warm and unfrozen by keeping them between their cheek and gum!...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw!!!!!
I thought you were supposed to keep your nightcrawlers warm that way!

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Whatever it is...that is just wrong dude!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts