Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Here are a couple of links...I have used the first one with good luck...

http://www.lolbait.com/

and

http://www.johnsonbaitplus.com/leeches.html

Also I have had better luck with large rather than jumbo...I dont know if the jumbos are closer to death since they are bigger or they want to spawn and die with I think leeches do...but I have been able to keep a couple of pounds of large leeches three or four months just by changing the water every couple of days...and keeping them cold in a garage fridge...

·
Registered
636 Posts
You can buy them instate if you go to Absolute Angler on 64th and Wadsworth. They are 3.99/dozen. Sportsman's Warehouse sells them too.

E

·
0 Posts
ZMan!!!!! Once again you bring a great post!

I was looking everywhere for someone who would ship me leeches for the last two years!!! Everyone wanted a 5-25 lb minimum order!!!

I knew I couldn't keep 'em alive...You can HAVE my Bud Light, man! ;D

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Eyeguy...

A couple of other points...I have had better luck with having a jug of lake water around rather than dechlorinated tap water...and the best thing for keeping them fresh...old tupperware containers...which you can pick up for nothing a garage sales...they also make the best worm containers...a tupperware container can be buried in ice and wont let water in drowning worms...

And yes Gotmusky you can get a dozen for $4 locally but usually half of them are really small...a pound of large are $20 plus $15 freight for a total of $35 for 10 to 15 dozen...so that works out from $2.33 a dozen to $3.50 a dozen for leeches bigger than anything you will get locally...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last year I bought my leeches from lol and I agree on the tip about the jumbo's. Although I keep my leeches in an old aquarium and managed to keep about 30 of them through the winter. Even had a bunch lay eggs, so I'm got new ones ready to go. it's amazing how once the water temp gets around fifty they get active, and any colder than that bury themselves in the rocks. I feed them some of the sucker meat left over from ice fishing and they always make a quick meal out of any fatheads that go belly up in the tank. Having a tank is the best way to have fresh healthy bait "on demand"

·
Registered
636 Posts
Eyeguy,
man i never knew that, sounds like a no brainer. I have only used leeches once recently. What is the best way to use them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts