Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me what live bait options are legal to use in the western half of the state? For example, shiners, suckers and fathead minnows? Are any live "fish" legal for use in these waters?

Also I read somewhere you need to carry a receipt of purchase from the B&T shop that sold them to you when you're on the water.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
No live minnows above 7000 feet anywhere in the state and no live minnows west of the continental divide...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Z is correct, NO LIVE BAIT on the western side of the state except for Navajo. As for the other part of the question, yes you must keep your bait receipt with you if you are using bait on the east side AND I believe it must be less than 7 days old( not sure about that though)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
So no Waxies/Mealies, eh?

I guess you could use those freeze dried ones they sell packaged in WalMart.
Grey area, crawlers and waxies are allowed IF it is a body of water that allows bait. We have a LOT of waters over here that are fly and lure ONLY as well as a stretch of water that is FLY ONLY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what would someone use with tip ups on the ice? I will be fishing a lot near the Grand Junction/Rifle area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts