Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using fingerling perch for early season walleyes for the last few seasons, only occasionally hassled by people telling me it is not legal. I could always show anyone in the regs where it stated they were legal if you didn't go over the bag limit. Looked through the new regulations last night and saw nothing about perch as bait. Is there a change in the law this year? I'll stop using them if the law changed; just don't want to risk my license over something like this.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated,
Ephemeral

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As long as you are not transferring the bait to other lakes, I don't see what violation that would be...

And as long as it is legal to keep and potentiall kill perch from that lake, using it as bait doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

But that is just my perception of the regs

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Still legal. From the 2011 regulations:

"2. The only fish species allowed to be taken and used for consumption or personal use as bait (either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping, or dipping are minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch."

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
death__from__below said:
No live fish bait over 7000 ft is another one of the regs.
or on certain watersheds.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to ask if there are any additional regulations about catching them with a castnet if I stay within my daily bag limit?

Are castnets regulated any other bait taking methods?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts