Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a lesson... And I learned it well.

Today Buck and I went to a new pond for us... completely blind, just wanted to give this new place a shot to see what we could see. And MAN am I glad we did!!!!

We took the old ultralight I posted about earlier with my old Mitchell 300 reel (c. 1960s) and hopped in the car. Went to WalMart to get some worms... got there, and they were totally out. Completely out of worms... What the hell, man?!

So we had to travel all the way out to the tackle shop to buy some worms, eating up valuable time with the rain and cold moving in.

Got to the spot about 5:45 and walked up on one old fella fishing on the bank, right as you walk up. He had a tiny slimer on his line and he kept yelling "I got a lake trout!!!! I got a lake trout!!!!" I ignored that, and Buck and I walked on down the bank, around some trees and to a promising looking spot with some structure.

First cast, got into a special species to me.

Second cast, I handed the rod to Buck... he knew what to do. His crappie went 9 5/8", mine was only 6 3/4".

Two casts, two crappie!!! What the hell did we stumble onto?!?!?!

Then..... it died. We sat at that spot, changed to fresh bait, tried different depths on the rig... Probably spent 10-15 minutes or so trying to figure it out. NOTHING.

So, I made a mistake. I looked across the lake and saw a nice little spot out of the wind and we left our little hole there.

The new spot was nice, we had a couple bites, but I just KNEW we were at the money spot and we spent the next two hours trying different stuff way over there. Got snagged a couple times, had one big hit that must have been a catfish and lost that fish. Then, it started getting dark.

2 crappie in less than 5 minutes, and then no landed fish for two hours. So... we walked back toward the car, I was a little upset because I kept the bigger of the two crappie and I was walking out of there with one fish to clean. On the way out, we stopped at that first spot we had tried and **** got ridiculous.

3 bluegill in 3 casts with the sun fading...

Then... on the last cast, we got into a tank! Probably the biggest bluegill I've ever landed... and it was on that tiny ultralight rod I set up today from my grandpa. 9 inches, right on it. I let Buck hold it for the pic.

That little **** really stretched that rod out, man... tugged me into the rocks at the bank a couple times and I was afraid the line was going to get cut on the sharp edges of the rocks, but I got him in somehow...

Great day, but I learned a real good lesson... Sometimes... when you're into fish... it pays to just be patient during a slow spell. Had I not wasted those two hours on the other side of the pond, I might have had alot more pictures to share!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That battle with the 9inch bluegill sounded intense;D
Now you got a crappie spot go get them for you grandma!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those crappie kind of came in like wet mops... That big gill though... He doubled my rod over.

Goes back to a point I've made before..m. Gills, pound for pound. Best fresh water fighters I know of.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
KILLING it!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys... Now that I know they're in there, I'm pulling out the curly-tail grubs and fatheads.

Funny thing is... I haven't ever seen a report on this pond/lake ever. Not on here, not on the other site... It's just a blue blob on the map, and we thought we'd give it a try. Seems to have been a good idea. =)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This site needs more fishing reports. Did we catch a 6 pound smallie or a 40 inch pike? no... But it's a fishing report... We went out, found some crappie, caught a big aZZ bluegill and took pix.

And we had fun. That's worth sharing, in my book.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas. He's becoming quite the little fisherman. He'll be teaching ME before too long. The kid's a natural.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts