Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I was at Wal Mart, and grabbed a couple of XRaps. Over 8 bucks a piece :( It hit me that I'd have to work the better part of an hour to get the money to pay for one lure... (yeah, I'm poor :D)

Anyway, here are a few ways I try to spend less on fishing gear . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I think of the 25 (or so) things I buy the most (i.e specific spinners, cranks, spoons. Tippet, flies, jigs, hooks etc..) I go to BPS, SPortsmans, and Gander (and others). Write the prices on a list. Then when I run low, I know where they're cheapest and stock up when I get there.

If Smithwicks are $1 cheaper at one store, and I buy 15 a year. I saved 15 bucks. Adds up when you count all items... Things like auger baldes are almost $10 cheaper than the other places. If I buy three sets a winter...

The list also helps me to keep track of what store carries what. Sportsmans is the only place that carries some Bass hooks I use..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free "to store" shipping. I'm pretty picky about my gear, and at times I have to order to get the something I need. Shipping can add up. If I place an order (even a small one to BPS or Sportsmans), I can have it shipped to the store and pick it up for free the next time I go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line, I switch my line out often. Anytime, it gets dirty (moss or algea coated water), or I notice a bunch of frayed spots.
If I buy a whole spool, I end up w/ wasted extra (I'm sure they're are uses..) Sportsmans will spool your reel for you, and you only pay for what they put on. Always cheaper than buying a full spool. Normally when something is more convenient, you pay more for it. However, they don't charge for that service..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fish plastics and jigs more.
I love expensve jerk baits and swim baits, but get depressed when I lose one. A lot of times, you can get a similar action off a plastic. It's a lot easier on the wallet losing one plastic that came out of a bag that cost less than an average lure.. I caught a MA Rainbow yesturday (yeah, I just wanted to throw that in ^-^) on a marabou jig. A jig that cost a couple bucks for about 10.
Definatley not saying to quit lures. Just when you can try other less costly options.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Park passes
Look into a park pass wherever you fish a lot. I save a bundle on State park fees by buying passes. It works for at Rocky Mountain National Park, and a couple other places. Before buying a pass, I'll usually add up how much I spen the previous year, and see if it's worth it. It usually is, and ends up saving big in the long run..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just a few ways that I try to save. Please add any ideas you have...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Really don't buy much local anymore... I know I know bad for local businesses but online is so so hard to beat.
Tacklewarehouse carries 90% of the stuff I fish and has 15% off sales pretty regularly and on the same dates. I try to wait for those dates unless I can't live without something. Also save 4%-8% tax depending on where you live and you don't have to leave the house.

Also order with buddies to share shipping on the non free shipping sites.
I buy a lot of high end gear used... Save lots of $$$ and fish the best.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
River Monster said:
Boondock said:
Also order with buddies to share shipping on the non free shipping sites.
You mean like today? ;D
Nah that is a free shipping site but a SMOKING deal on gear with our little discount. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts