Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I fish a small lake from ice out to about early May for bass. There are some big ones in there.

The bass have started cruising the shoreline like the do whenever the temp reaches low to mid 50's. And every spring when they come shallow to spawn, guys start site fishing and pulling them off the beds. Some guys don't even want that much of a challenge and just drag a bait with alot of hooks thru the nest and snag 'em.

Its enough to make me sick. Bass in CO have dropping water levels that may leave their eggs high and dry, cold fronts that can be strong enough that the spawn gets aborted and the females just absorb their eggs, etc, etc.

I know its legal to site fish but I think it does alot of harm on small waters-not everybody practices C&R and some guys just have to drag that big female home to show it off.

I post this hoping some out there will resist the temptation and leave them alone. You wouldn't want somebody coming in your bedroom when your'e getting busy with the old lady. :mad:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That sounds very similar to a small pond by my house. I have gotten some decent bass out of it in years past.

However the same thing happens in May - people line up shoulder to shoulder throwing whatever at the bedding bass. I have seen some large spawning females come out of a VERY small body of water, which is just detrimental to the health of that pond.

I once saw a guy with a huge steel jig just trying to snag the bass.

People have no respect for conservation and selective harvest - particularly on the smaller bodies of water. It's terrible really

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Hopefully this will discourage any positive reports from that place. You can bet if I fish it, there won't be any reports here until the spawn is over....if even that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lake Powell Biology Lesson

Sounds like the type of fisherman none of us want to be near.

Something I've learned from Wayne the Biologist at Lake Powell is that it is more important to release the male when nesting then the female. Why? Because the male protects the nest and if you remove him the eggs will never survive. If you HAVE TO keep a fish it is better to keep the female as another female will probably come along to populate the nest.

Last year was my first time site fishing for nests at Powell and I was stunned by how "tame" the males were on nests. We could boat over them and drop a jig and pull in the fish. We released everything and watched the male go right back on the nest.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Kirbydog and weezy both said they saw people tryin to snag them justr different styles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts