Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of the years of my life when I opened a front door to go outside, this time of year, I braced for the cold bite that will hit my face...It's an instinctual reaction because I have, for so long opened a door this time of year and bam...there is that cold blast.

Now life is so much different. When I open a door down here I am hit with a comfortable shot of weather that just feels good. I said to Ruth man I have gotten soft and she quickly hollers back...no, you have gotten smarter.

I must say I got sick of the hindrance of winter on my outside life. Life is to short. I can honestly say I will not miss old man winter this year, not even a teeny weeny little bit. I will be back in Colorado for a week at the end of the month and although I am excited to see family and friends I am not eager to go see cold and snow. I am getting plenty of it on the news as I watch the dreaded Polar Vortex move across the country.

Now I live in a place where my tennis rackets and my fly rods don't get pushed to the back of the closet. Not that I stopped fishing in the winter..quite the contrary, I fished hard in the winter as many of you have seen.

Here is a little video of where I live now...taken a couple weeks ago. This is where we wear a sleeve only to protect from the sun!

http://youtu.be/tPdY6zNFZuM

Happy Winter everybody and no worries if y'all want to chastise me for being an alice about the weather!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thats awesome...yep u have gotten smart...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
When you really get to feeling soft...oh, about the end of January..early February..My wife and I would be happy to trade our house for yours for a couple of weeks. Would really toughen you up. Haha..I'm jealous.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Over here on the west side we are still enjoying an Indian Summer so to speak. Last week of November and into the first week of December we have had several 60 degree weather days. Supposed to be warm next week as well. Ice fishing on our side of the state may not start til January this winter. Still plenty of time to hit our steams and lakes. Can't say the same for those eastern plains folks though.

Have a good Christmas and holiday season Cody and hopefully you might get a bit of time on some streams when you come back later this month.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Nice !!
My Folks retired in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area back in the mid 80's - 2000.
They loved it, especially after the SNOW BIRDS left in March...
They had a place on a lagoon, that had access to the river, (Caloosahatchee?) that had access to the waterway..
The "old man" NEVER bought a boat...:mad:
Watch out for the Manatee's !! :)

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
For all of the years of my life when I opened a front door to go outside, this time of year, I braced for the cold bite that will hit my face...It's an instinctual reaction because I have, for so long opened a door this time of year and bam...there is that cold blast.

Now life is so much different. When I open a door down here I am hit with a comfortable shot of weather that just feels good. I said to Ruth man I have gotten soft and she quickly hollers back...no, you have gotten smarter.

I must say I got sick of the hindrance of winter on my outside life. Life is to short. I can honestly say I will not miss old man winter this year, not even a teeny weeny little bit. I will be back in Colorado for a week at the end of the month and although I am excited to see family and friends I am not eager to go see cold and snow. I am getting plenty of it on the news as I watch the dreaded Polar Vortex move across the country.

Now I live in a place where my tennis rackets and my fly rods don't get pushed to the back of the closet. Not that I stopped fishing in the winter..quite the contrary, I fished hard in the winter as many of you have seen.

Here is a little video of where I live now...taken a couple weeks ago. This is where we wear a sleeve only to protect from the sun!

http://youtu.be/tPdY6zNFZuM

Happy Winter everybody and no worries if y'all want to chastise me for being an alice about the weather!
I miss florida. One day I'll move back there.....
In the meantime, since you are having a blast fishing the ocean.... Don't forget 50-70 miles east, you got some of the most incredible warm water fishing in the country.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice, glad to see you've found a cool spot...We're heading to Capt. Cook Hawaii soon, I still need to find the warm Paradise spot...Can't take the cold like I used to but Panama was too damn hot.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
This is the second winter I've missed since retirement on a tropical island. Well, that's a misnomer, don't miss it all.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
glad things are going good for you down there, ya aint missing much up here my friend. Sherms still at it lol........

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Cochise your in my old stomping grounds. Maybe another five years here and fingers crossed get back to real fishing and scantily dressed ladys.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All! Jim, thank you and all the best to you and yours for this blessed holiday season.

Dave knows...It ain't perfect 12 months a year but for 7 it sure is!

Red, Panama was on our radar but we still work and with young kids it probably wont materialize but 40 acres and a home there was financially attractive.

I Fish, yes the Caloosahatchee is my home river and the one we were on in the video...Big River.

Z, thx. I still don't believe it.

Bob, I am so glad to be gone from that communist group. I feel your pain though! Have a Merry Christmas! Feed a slimer to the pup for me!

Tom, I hope 5 years goes by quickly for you as this place is heaven to an angler.

Owen...?

This was just last winter....Brrrr....making the best of it and wishing I was warm!

http://youtu.be/MsumR_aAjbc

Fish on folks!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Nice, glad to see you've found a cool spot...We're heading to Capt. Cook Hawaii soon, I still need to find the warm Paradise spot...Can't take the cold like I used to but Panama was too damn hot.
Marathon, FL. You're welcome.

I was trying to hook Steve up with his warmwater paradise. :)

Next year I hope to start my fish assassination campaign... This year has been a major transition year and haven't been able to learn waters and develop techniques like I would have liked... Tennessee is nice though. No ice, but there'll be many many large fish landed next year and that will hopefully soothe the burn.

Unlike you, Cochise, I really do miss the ice and cold. But that's probably for the reasons listed above... I haven't embraced the change just yet.

Tight lines to you, sir...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Thanks All! Jim, thank you and all the best to you and yours for this blessed holiday season.

Dave knows...It ain't perfect 12 months a year but for 7 it sure is!

Red, Panama was on our radar but we still work and with young kids it probably wont materialize but 40 acres and a home there was financially attractive.

I Fish, yes the Caloosahatchee is my home river and the one we were on in the video...Big River.

Z, thx. I still don't believe it.

Bob, I am so glad to be gone from that communist group. I feel your pain though! Have a Merry Christmas! Feed a slimer to the pup for me!

Tom, I hope 5 years goes by quickly for you as this place is heaven to an angler.

Owen...?

This was just last winter....Brrrr....making the best of it and wishing I was warm!

http://youtu.be/MsumR_aAjbc

Fish on folks!

Oh no, not Cochise, say it ain't so!!!!

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Now that you live in Floriduh shouldn't you change your name to Osceola, Abiaka or Billy Bowlegs to fit the geography? :rolleyes: Glad to see everything's working out for ya down there...Congrats!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I too am at a point in life where I choose to spend the "cold" months down here in sunny Flori-Duh. I love the West but the cold and ice don't work well for me. Luck to all of you folks who walk on water this time of year.
See you the end of April.
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts