Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally thought this forum might be a place to find a fishing buddy or two to fill the void left when one past away and the other who moved to follow his career. In those two friendships we shared tips, techniques and stories about each others past experiences; both good and bad. We fussed and cussed like family at times, but always were willing to put aside petty differences to do what we love to do-FISH and SHARE KNOWLEDGE. We also managed to share with other anglers who wanted to learn more about the great sport of fishing without fear of them finding our "sacred honey holes" (PS-there isn't such a thing; we caught many a fish just goofing around trying new places on the same lakes and streams that lots of other people fished as well).

It became apparent from day one that there was a "brotherhood" here formed by multiple groups of people. Some more opinionated than others, but none the less together for a common cause: FISHING and SHARING stories.

I have quickly learned it be taboo to share to much info about certain lakes, hide backgrounds in photos (main reason I don't post pics) for fear it would upset the masses. None of which I disagree with. But, at the same time have often wondered "what's the big deal?" The name of lakes and streams are public information. Most are crowded at varying times of the year and all have plenty of fish for everyone to enjoy and while skill of technique, water temps, depth and color all matter; TIMING and LUCK play a big part in catching fish. The problem doesn't lie in the sharing of tips, it lies in the rules set forth by those that make the limits on how many can be kept, what can be used and not having open and closed seasons for certain species of fish to protect the reproduction cycles IMHO.

So instead of hoping to find another fishing buddy, I find myself wondering why bother. This forum is and probably always will be a place for me to view a few nice pics, read a few good updates, laugh at some's great sense of humor or sarcasm and most enjoyably watch people play "keyboard toughguy" when there feelings get hurt. NEWSFLASH for the "keyboard toughguys"- Lifes to short to worry about what everyone says about you or does that you can't control.

That's not to say I am not grateful to those few that have shared some things behind the seens (PM's) and the amazing ideas that were given for my quest to find the right fishing vessel in my posts. Because I am very thankful for that, just a little envious at those "brothers" who have someone to share fishing and stories with in person on the water and saddened by what the future fisherman will deal with when I'm long gone.

I've rambled enough, but in closing my one wish for this forum is for members not to get divided on petty differences. Friendships last a lifetime, and lifes too damn short to waste being upset at your friends or fellow fisherman. Educate those who want to learn and try to educate those who don't even harder.....

PEACE OUT

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Ninja have you checked out the Colorado Kayak Fishing Club on facebook? Very open group of guys and there's always a few guys looking for other anglers to head out in your neck of the woods.

What fishing forums used to be in Colorado is a thing of the past and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I do however think we could all benefit from a couple CF organized meet ups at local reservoirs and then a yearly swap meet would be cool.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That would be cool Eric. I'm not into the whole FB thing though....had some bad experiences with it with my business listing:( I keep it simple now, email, text or phone. BTW-I travel to fish too, just hate doing it alone all the time....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff Eric. I never turn down invites or those who want to tag along the first time so long as they're fishermen.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Most are crowded at varying times of the year and all have plenty of fish
Exactly, they are all already crowded. No need to add to the crowds. A person may know a body of water exists and has a species in it, but they hardly ever fish there or something like that, once they see a picture of someone catching fish there guess where they are gonna go? That same person could go to work and tell his 2 buddies, and they could tell a family member, now attention has been drawn to a place that they otherwise wouldn't fish. Obviously its a hypothetical situation but it happens all the time, people talk. I also wouldn't say luck plays too much when it comes to catching fish, at least consistently. Not sure if this post was to complain about people not sharing info enough or to complain that you haven't made a good fishing friend here yet :D Sorry to hear about the passing of your old friend though. You're right, lifes too short

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

To put it in the fewest words I can think of.

I was told to treat people the way you like to be treated.
Seems to me it just doesn't happen that way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In my short time here, i have found the forums to be quite valuable. Met some decent people, fished with a few. I've tried to remember to not to post too much, but my impulsive nature often wins and i spew out pics with telling backgrounds. Most of the places i fish are widely recignizable for the most part. I understand the value of a quality fishing hole. As a kid i found the holy grail of honey holes (at least for a 10 year old). I remember my mom taking me to the tackle shop to pick something up and sharing some info to some f the people in the shop. Sure enough over the course of a couple months, the over fishing and dumping of trash ruined the place. I was devistated. So, i do understand the sanctity of a quality spot. I will always share what i know with the right type of people. As a teacher, i also value being able to teach and shed undersrandiing of something i care about.

I guess i have rambled on enough.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have an old fishing hat; at least 20 yrs old. My fav of all times. It says "Lifes to short...FISH NAKED". If you're like me, you will always have the river to yourself :eek:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I remember my mom taking me to the tackle shop to pick something up and sharing some info to some f the people in the shop. Sure enough over the course of a couple months, the over fishing and dumping of trash ruined the place. I was devistated. .
Tackle shops employees are the worst people to tell any information too! You learned that the hard way :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I hope hobiecat reads this and feels compelled to tell me about this fabled brookie spot...... but if he does Im not gonna pass the info on.... just sayin

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry folks, I had to re-look at what I had written (typed) after a few of the responses. Was missing the "for us" part, which might make more sense to some.

"Honeyholes" to those lucky enough to still have them should be guarded .

To those who may have thought I was bitching about the lack of sharing that goes on this public forum; it wasn't meant to be that. It was more about the pettiness that seems rampant at times on here between "brothers" over what is being typed and being saddened that I lost one of mine who understood the importance and responsibility of being a good steward of this great pastime.

Thanks for the feedback to those who responded. Now it's times for me to get to the lake and find a few new honeyholes......

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
It's tough...I get where you are coming from and I hope you find a few more folks to fish with. The problem with giving too much info publicly is you end up with more than the typical masses. This forum is so easily found, and is lurked by so many. If too much info is shared here, it just makes it too easy for the masses to pirate info.

It's interesting, "timing and luck" are an interesting concept. Timing in particular. Reports, if nothing else help those who are not in the know, how to time the bite. I am an ok fisherman, and I readily admit to using fishing websites to help my success. Many times, to help my timing. And I think that you can get PILES of information on the lakes you want to fish by just paying attention to info on similar lakes. Piecing together information from posts/reports can increase your success a ton without being a suckface leach (not accusing you at all).

The suckface leach is really the problem. The folks that contribute little or nothing, but hotspot based on reports, many times, being the type that have no regard to selective harvest.

I learned the hard way, like so many on here. Too many open reports with too much information. Soon, spots that were "normally busy" turned into a nightmare.

You are a bit new, so you are entering the group at a point where there is less info and a bit less friendly (there are theories as to why this is so). That said, hang around enough and hit people up via PM and the invites, info and comradery you are looking for will happen. But like the information itself, it might not just be offered up on a silver platter.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your response Oyey. I totally get what your saying and for the most part agree that being to generous with information on sites like this can be deadly in the hands of those that don't understand the importance of selective harvest. But the rule-makers can have a larger impact on that by trying something like below. When I was a youngster growing up in PA we had a season for trout just like hunters have seasons for specific animals they hunt. Why not here? Why not more C&R waters certain times of the year?

This is the part of my post no one commented on:

The problem doesn't lie in the sharing of tips, it lies in the rules set forth by those that make the limits on how many can be kept, what can be used and not having open and closed seasons for certain species of fish to protect the reproduction cycles IMHO.
The remainder was me being sad about losing a dear friend whom I used to fish with during the summer months at least twice during the week.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have learned a lot here and met some good people. But there are downs as well. One thing that you sorta touched on is the guys that seem to be part of an indoctrinated fraternity that comment more based on who is commenting rather than what's been said. If you're not part of the club , you're a tool. If you are, it's a big pat on the back. And then they wonder why this site is a shadow of it's former self. Good amount of hypocrisy. Then there are guys on here who only seem to use the site so they can put others down and tell them their fish is 3lb not 5 and that literally seems to be all they contribute. Seriously? Who cares? Some of the stuff people nag on is ridiculous. Some people need to learn to chill. I guess there are a lot of grouchy old men on here with nothing better to do than talk ****. Overall I think it's still worth it though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
One thing that you sorta touched on is the guys that seem to be part of an indoctrinated fraternity that comment more based on who is commenting rather than what's been said.
x2, in the 2 years I've been on here its always been that , except for people post even less now

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The forum is about sharing info.......and also making friends with a common interest. There is a locker room vibe to this place, but we're men that's how we get along. If you Sallys wanna have a Tupperware party I might even go as long as there is tea and cookies.

The sharing of info happens behind the scenes with members you trust......and yeah, sometimes you get burn....multiple times. Just ask Homie. There's a handful of guys on here I like to mess with but know if I gave them info in a pm it would be safe.......but no one wants to hear about power bait tips. Woe is me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for chiming in there "Golden Turd". You're input is valued by us "Sallys" about as much as anyone's I guess; especially since you've been "rehabilitated" by your timeout. Good to see your smart ass is back to your normal ways. Kinda got boring not having some comic relief to read in the mornings while sitting on "the throne":wink:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You weren't one of the Sallys I was talking about.....but maybe you are now. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts