Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on a thread in Iceshanty also. My Marcum weighs about 6 oz. without the battery. With the batt it is freekin heavy.

I think I'll try 8 "D" batteries in series. The lithium 7ah at 3lbs sounds good, but it's not like we hike in all the time. I do it 2-3 times a year.

Just did some math. An alkaline d battery has 10 A/[email protected] 500 ma draw. The LX-5 draws 350 ma. Thus, the LX-5 should run all day on a set of 8 D batteries!

Each batt weighs ~ 5oz. 8x5 ==40oz, or 2.5 lbs.

Not cost effective if you do it often, but a couple times per year its cheaper than a lithium or a new sonar for sure.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Holy crap you're gonna spend $71 (with shipping) on a battery?...the world is ending for sure!!!

You need a special charger for those?

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lookin' to shave a few pounds, eh?

How about Eneloop rechargeables.

Be forewarned, I know my math sucks. But look at this.

Eneloop AA cells weigh 27 grams each, and add another 30 grams for the battery holder.

So with 10 of 'em, you've got about 270 grams + holder = 300 grams / .661 lbs. How's that?

Each cell rates 1.2V & 1900 mAh.

How long will it run? Hell, I don't know. My math sucks, remember?

Might be worth a try, though.

Oh, Costco had battery / charger combos for something like $20.

HERE is a link to the spec sheet.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Wow Slayer. A few extra pounds ain't gonna kill you. If you're gonna worry about all that look into the Marcum Showdown Trollers. One model fits in your pocket like a cell phone and runs on 6 AA batteries.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Weight??

Not for anything Mike, but looking at costs, I'm guessing between 20 and 71 bucks, based on some estimates others have posted, and you wanting to shave a few pounds, how much NutraSystems food could one buy? Could that relate to the amount of weight you are looking to shave off??

You're a pretty fit person, but maybe you're looking at this the wrong way.

Just looking at different options, trying to help a bud out!!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not for anything Mike, but looking at costs, I'm guessing between 20 and 71 bucks, based on some estimates others have posted, and you wanting to shave a few pounds, how much NutraSystems food could one buy? Could that relate to the amount of weight you are looking to shave off??

You're a pretty fit person, but maybe you're looking at this the wrong way.

Just looking at different options, trying to help a bud out!!
192 lbs of pure muscle, Jeffery! Just looking, I'm too cheap to spend money on something that I dont really need-

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lookin' to shave a few pounds, eh?

How about Eneloop rechargeables.

Be forewarned, I know my math sucks. But look at this.

Eneloop AA cells weigh 27 grams each, and add another 30 grams for the battery holder.

So with 10 of 'em, you've got about 270 grams + holder = 300 grams / .661 lbs. How's that?

Each cell rates 1.2V & 1900 mAh.

How long will it run? Hell, I don't know. My math sucks, remember?

Might be worth a try, though.

Oh, Costco had battery / charger combos for something like $20.
Aha! Lurking are we? OK so if the AA has 1900m AH / 350mA, thats about 5 hrs or so if it aint too cold out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I had the Troller 2.0. Wasn't a bad machine at all. Got rid of it but did miss it my last two trips -- did a good hike for perch and lakers -- regular flashers get heavy!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Aha! Lurking are we? OK so if the AA has 1900m AH / 350mA, thats about 5 hrs or so if it aint too cold out.
Yep, thought I'd step out from the shadows...

So, take another pocketful of 'em. Then you've got 10 hours. Less than a pound and a half...

I've got a pile of these things. Use 'em in everything. Might just have to experiment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts