Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the cabela's winter catalog and they have a Jiffy 8" power auger that weighs just 16 lbs. Cutthroat are you listening?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Jiffy's lightest powerhead is still 19 lbs (without auger bit), so unless they've released something new, I think someone at Cabelas made a typo. Lightest gas auger on the market, I believe, is still the Strikemaster Strike-Lite 4-stroke.

I would get a Strike-Like, if I found a $500 gift certficiate for bass pro shops lying in the street.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Cutthroat said:
I would get a Strike-Like, if I found a $500 gift certficiate for bass pro shops lying in the street.
You wouldn't try to find the owner?  For shame, for shame... :p
I would consider myself the owner!   ;D You gots to have your priorities. I was going to make it $500 cash, but I realized my wife would probably make me pay the mortgage with it, if I found cash.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cutthroat you refuse to believe that the gas auger is the way of the enlightened! Its a new jiffy and it DOES weigh 16lb TOTAL!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't know about "enlighten," but it's the way to "lighten" my wallet, that's for sure.

I would love to learn more about this lightweight gas auger, especially the cost.  I don't think they can match the cost-effectiveness of my setup, which is really nice now that I have a stable power attachement and use the same battery I power my fishfinder with to drill my holes.  Drilled a bunch of holes with it yesterday with no dropoff in power, and still had plenty for the finder.  Doubled my pleasure and fun.

So, Slayer, you trying to justify having paid too much for a wasteful, fuel and fume spewing, oversized hole saw with only one purpose, when you could have set up something that works as well with a multi-purpose tool that costs less than half as much? Do you work for Jiffy? ;D

I won't say it's impossible to win me over to the dark size of gas power augers, but the practical benefits spelled out so far pale in comparison to the practical benefits of my current rig.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just like buggin' ya,Cutty! To each his own,I always say!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I know you like buggin' me... I get some amusement out of it. I'm sure my posts make me seem much more adamant than I really am. I prefer to tinker and make my own on good stuff on the cheap. I have a secret desire to market low-priced solutions to fishing's problems, someday.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Mr. Cutt the nice thing about your auger is the compatiliblity with any 1/2" drill bit set. Do you go with the 3/4" bit when fishing for lakers. Have you thought about using a masonary hammer drill. J/K

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
would probably be a good one when running and gunning after crappie or perch schools!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Trout said:
Mr. Cutt the nice thing about your auger is the compatiliblity with any 1/2" drill bit set. Do you go with the 3/4" bit when fishing for lakers. Have you thought about using a masonary hammer drill. J/K
I find that you can sqeeze even the largest laker through a 9/16" hole, if you apply enough force. ;D

I have thought of using a hammer drill.  I thought it would be able to break loose if the auger ever catches in the ice and stops.  Being able to hook up to a big 12V keeps my torque high enough with my regular drill that that doesn't happen, though. 

TroutFishingBear said:
would probably be a good one when running and gunning after crappie or perch schools!
It would be great for that, especially with a 5" auger.  Put what little gear you need on a small sled, pull up and drill holes wherever you want, fish, and move on.  You could cover a lot of ground on foot and drill a lot of holes without killing yourself.   

I've found it works well with 8" hand augers, too, so I'm not really very limited by hole size, either.

·
Registered
935 Posts
about $150 for a hitachi, dewalt, or porter-cable that would work nicely for drilling ice. Since I didn't have the money to buy one, I stuck with the drill/driver I already had, and it has worked great.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's a little cheap, if you're looking for something 18V or higher, but just right if you can settle for a good one with 14.4 V or lower. For drilling ice, I hook up to an external battery for extra juice to drill lots of holes, and 12V batteries don't turn 18-19.2 V drills fast enough to do the job. Plenty of amps for torque, but not enough volts for sufficient RPM's.

In any case, I do my research and amazon has a good DeWalt 18V cordless for $115 (even less than I estimated):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._4/104-3633597-4191104?n=507846&s=hi&v=glance

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cutthroat said:
It's a little cheap, if you're looking for something 18V or higher, but just right if you can settle for a good one with 14.4 V or lower.  For drilling ice, I hook up to an external battery for extra juice to drill lots of holes, and 12V batteries don't turn 18-19.2 V drills fast enough to do the job.  Plenty of amps for torque, but not enough volts for sufficient RPM's. 

In any case, I do my research and amazon has a good DeWalt 18V cordless for $115 (even less than I estimated):
My Jiffy 3HP 10" only cost me 70 bucks, granted it was several years old, but it runs like a dream and costs less then your Cadilac screwdriver Cutt. :D :D :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._4/104-3633597-4191104?n=507846&s=hi&v=glance

·
Registered
935 Posts
beerman - Yeah, but as I keep pointing out:  Gas augers are also heavier than my setup, and your gas auger can't also be used to build a deck outside your back door.

I love being the underdog!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cutthroat said:
beerman - Yeah, but as I keep pointing out:  Gas augers are also heavier than my setup, and your gas auger can't also be used to build a deck outside your back door.

I love being the underdog!
You haven't seen my deck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts